Calculating Estimated SPF Values

I am working on a project and have been asked to calculate the estimated SPF value.  What is the bets way to do this?  There is a mineral and a chemical option I need to calculate.  I found some information but I didn't know if there was a resources people typically used for this that they could recommend.  Thanks for the help in advance!

Comments

• MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications.
  • Wow!!  Thank you so much for sharing!

• Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    from experience the BASF simulator is excellent for predicting UVA/UVB ratios, but the actual SPF achieved in practise tends to vary depending on the nature of the product
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • gld010gld010 Member
    Yes, use the sunscreen simulator as a very loose guideline as the thickness and composition of a formula can impact the SPF.
  • Thank you all for the thoughtful feedback - I appreciate it.  It was interesting I ran the simulator on a product and it guessed 8 but we had sent it out and got a 15.  I'm assuming boosters, thickness, other raws also affect the product's rating.  
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    Indeed. This is why the simulator should only be used for estimations.