Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating liquid laundry detergent down in the bottom of bottle

• liquid laundry detergent down in the bottom of bottle

Posted by noorahfm on March 28, 2019 at 8:06 pm

Hi All

I made liquid laundry detergent it work properly but some time  more viscous liquid will down in the bottom of bottle and less viscouse is in the top ,after shaking it will recover,the problem is that why the down .i need it will make more homogeneous and more transparent?  formula in % is given below
    LABSA=15.2%
    NaoH=2%
    SLES=4%
    sodium citirate=3%
    EDTA=.2
    Nacl=1%
    water

gunther replied 4 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • fekher

March 31, 2019 at 2:06 pm

@noorahfm you need to decrease the level of Labsa and increase the level of SLES.

• noorahfm

April 1, 2019 at 8:01 am

Fekher Thank you for your response, we well conduct experiment about your suggestion

• noorahfm

April 1, 2019 at 11:38 am

Fekher, how many % will derease LAbsa and increase SlES? 

• fekher

April 1, 2019 at 12:17 pm

@noorahfm you must work for that just to help you LABSA can be good in 2 % .

• gunther

April 2, 2019 at 6:46 pm

noorahfm said:

Hi All

I made liquid laundry detergent it work properly but some time  more viscous liquid will down in the bottom of bottle and less viscouse is in the top ,after shaking it will recover,the problem is that why the down .i need it will make more homogeneous and more transparent?  formula in % is given below
    LABSA=15.2%
    NaoH=2%
    SLES=4%
    sodium citirate=3%
    EDTA=.2
    Nacl=1%
    water

I don’t think you’ll need that much NaCl. Try adding that salt smaller increments just to thicken it as needed.

For a mixed hand/machine washing liquid detergent you can add some extra SLES (to 6% or so) to thicken it without needing salt, and to improve flash foam.

For a machine washing detergent, you can remove SLES and increase LABSA to 20% or so. It provides extra cleaning, without SLES foam (for machine washers the less foam the better).

• Aziz

April 2, 2019 at 9:57 pm

@Gunther Will the 20% LABSA clean dirt or dirt and colour what I experienced ?

• gunther

April 2, 2019 at 11:54 pm

Aziz said:

Of course that will clean dirt
    As for the color, it is a faint yellow.

• noorahfm

April 3, 2019 at 7:27 am

Gunther Thank you for your response,
    we will try to cover that problem with help of your experience.

• Naim

April 11, 2019 at 11:38 am

Aziz said:

what then would be the %NaOH? will it remain the same
  • gunther

April 11, 2019 at 10:15 pm

I have only used neutralized LABSA,
    the NaOH % will vary a bit from supplier to supplier and even from batch to batch.
    I rarely use NaOH as it’s alkalinity seems to degrade LABSA. Now I use Sodium carbonate and wait for the bubbles to dissipate.

Sodium alkyl benzene sulfonate should be a pale transparent yellow, no matter if it’s neutralized with NaOH or carbonate.
    And yes, it cleans clothes fine on its own.

• noorahfm

April 17, 2019 at 10:05 am

Gunther, and Fekher I again say thank you so much for your cooperation for solve the problem,i solve the problem when decreasing Nacl and LABSA and increasing Sls ,

• fekher

April 17, 2019 at 4:35 pm

you are welcome @noorahfm

• Quimico

July 16, 2019 at 2:21 pm

Use the following stable formula;
    LABSA (96%) 13%
    CAUSTIC SODA 1.56
    SLES(70%). 7
    STPP. 1
    EDTA 1
    NACL. 1

• gunther

July 16, 2019 at 5:15 pm

Quimico said:

Use the following stable formula;
    LABSA (96%) 13%
    CAUSTIC SODA 1.56
    SLES(70%). 7
    STPP. 1
    EDTA 1
    NACL. 1

IMO refrain from using NaCl if it has good viscosity on its own, otherwise cloud point sharply rises with salt.

You can easily try it yourself:
    Make some of it
    then pour some in a bottle as it
    pour the rest in another bottle and add some salt
    put in the fridge without freezing
    the one containing salt is likely to become cloudy.

EDTA is a salt and likely to cause the low temp cloudiness problem as well
    1% EDTA is too much, 0.1% is enough.

Is STPP Sodium TriPolyPhosphate?
    If so, phosphates are banned or frowned upon as they lead to rivers and lakes eutrophication, so it’s better to get rid of it.

If you need to increase viscosity, some CAPB can help without rising cloud point.