Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Tea Tree Oil- Has anyone had experience formulating pet products with Tea Tree Oil?

• Tea Tree Oil- Has anyone had experience formulating pet products with Tea Tree Oil?

Posted by dr-catherine-pratt on March 24, 2019 at 12:01 am

I have research that says Tea Tree Oil is the cure all and I’m not saying this because I’m Australian. However, I have read some different stories on the forum, can anyone tell me about their experiences with this EO?

dr-catherine-pratt replied 4 years, 10 months ago 8 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • microformulation

March 24, 2019 at 12:49 am

Make a product, follow all their recommendations for the required level of TTO and in the end you will likely hear “can you mask the scent of the TTO?” The raw material is poorly accepted due to odor.

• belassi

March 24, 2019 at 1:12 am

Can only use it in a pet shampoo at vet-approved percentages.
    I have a Tea Tree shampoo in my line, it’s popular. I add a herbal fragrance by Mane and the combined aroma is fresh and woodsy. Finish is a pearlescent green. 

• dr-catherine-pratt

March 24, 2019 at 5:16 am
    thanks guys, @Microformulation I don’t know why they do not like the scent? I am not a big fan but you can buy lemon scented TTO. Although @Belassi you are saying that the shampoo is popular. Did you change mask the TTO smell? with herbal fragrances?Can I ask how much TTO you used?
    So you coloured it green, is that from the Spirulina spp? Hahaha!
    Remember I made a serum with spirulina and was naive to what it would do? You said that it would change and become unstable. Its about 3 to 4 weeks now and my client is loving it. The smell has certainly changed. Next time I am thinking of using a Malador for the primary perfume to mask the spirulina and then a secondary fragrance. It now smells like vegetables that having been in a box for a while, but my client loves it and is taking it to the states. Maybe I should make another one first Ahhh!
    How did your spirulina product eventuate?
  • belassi

March 24, 2019 at 3:58 pm

The herbal fragrance doesn’t mask but complements the TTO. I think it’s about 0.2% TTO content…
    The spirulina shampoo slowly degraded over a few weeks, the colour changed from a blue-green to a light green, and the viscosity reduced markedly. When first made, it was super nice.

• ozgirl

March 25, 2019 at 10:18 pm
    I played around with lemon scented tea tree essential oil as a potential fragrance in a couple of cleaning products but abandoned this when I found out that it is difficult to guarantee a constant supply. Apparently it is only harvested once a year. Also due to the high citral content it is prone to oxidation.
    Also I imagine that the lemon scented tea tree would have different properties to standard TTO.
  • microformulation

March 26, 2019 at 4:10 pm

We had the same issue. Down Under (I believe) promoted the Lemon TTO and we got a sample. The client was unimpressed. When the procurement person called for pricing, they couldn’t even quote a lead time for materials. 

• dr-catherine-pratt

March 27, 2019 at 12:02 pm
    That is so bizarre! I made up 10 fragrances for a US client. He wanted 6 to use in a new line of his. He actually picked a tea tree fragrance, I nearly fell off my chair as there was a whole load of ladies that were smelling them as well. They didn’t know it was tea tree?
    Maybe it is just about where it is sourced from? I have smelled some that were revolting, they have to be premium quality.
    Mmm still not sure if I should use it though?
  • Will

April 19, 2019 at 7:14 am

I don’t know about pets, but I made a Beard Balm with TTO (0.5%) and added 0.25% of Clary Sage Oil and 0.25% Atlas Cedar Oil, and it’s been selling like crazy at the barbershops.

At the beginning when I used TTO by itself customers didn’t like as much.. but since I started combining it with other essential oils it’s been a success..

• dr-catherine-pratt

April 20, 2019 at 10:32 am
    #Will this is great! and #Bellasi my serum has turned light green (with spirulina) and I think it stinks, but the client still loves it and says it smells like roses as I put in Rose Bulgarian at the start, not it needs a truck load of roses, it smells like a box of off vegetables that have been left in an alley for a week. Yuk! Anyway we are all different and this is what is on trend Mmmm
  • belassi

April 21, 2019 at 3:26 pm

my serum has turned light green (with spirulina)
    You’re obviously getting the same experience that I had. It’s a real shame, I have not found any way of stabilising it — I strongly suspect this is the reason there are no products on the market.

• dr-catherine-pratt

April 22, 2019 at 11:56 am

#Bellassi what did you try to stabilise it with? Have you tried Chloraphyll or Blue green algae. If you are looking for the colour, I have used Chloraphyll but I only just got Blue-green algae. I think Chloraphyll was good in my case, I think you said you had a problem with it?? Good to know about your case.

• dr-catherine-pratt

April 22, 2019 at 11:57 am

I heard that Tea Tree is a weed in the states? is this right?

• zink

April 23, 2019 at 7:02 pm

I’ve read to use max 1% in dog applications as it has some toxicity for em.

• dr-catherine-pratt

April 26, 2019 at 3:12 am

Thanks #Zink!

• Max

April 26, 2019 at 5:27 am

Hello, we have been using 0.5% for years, no issues so far even for export (we are also in Oz), pet products.

• dr-catherine-pratt

April 26, 2019 at 5:44 am

Cool thanks #Max

• bellbottom

May 31, 2019 at 8:25 pm

i have tried time and time again to use spirulina in a hairspray (mostly for color - it’s “mermaid” inspired) and the lovely sea green lasts about a day, then it turns funky colors and then the product looks gross, yellowy and yucky. 

spirulina is a b*tch to work with! it’s totally unstable and smells… fishy.
    PLUS it does not dissolve in water - just suspends.

• dr-catherine-pratt

June 1, 2019 at 8:37 am

#bellbotto, I have just found THE best 100% organic colours that are exotic and hopefully nobody knows about yet. If you want to know about a certain colour that is going to last please message. I also have a beetroot that does not oxidise!! Sorry its taken me the best part of a year to find them thats all.