Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General how much ethanol results in a dangerous good for cosmetics

• how much ethanol results in a dangerous good for cosmetics

Posted by cossci21 on March 7, 2019 at 5:59 am

Hi,
    I am making a cosmetic gel with 15% denatured ethanol. Is this classified as a dangerous good?
    I tried to look up GHS guidelines but I cant measure flash point etc.
    Thanks in advance

ozgirl replied 5 years ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • belassi

March 7, 2019 at 6:51 am

Frankly, I would not be wanting to use such a product. On the skin, it’s going to evaporate the alcohol forming a cloud of vapour and I bet the gel itself is inflammable. Of course it may be that:
    “When there’s nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.”

• em88

March 7, 2019 at 9:39 am

It depends on where you cosmetic gel is applied. Normally 15% ethanol is fine.

• oldperry

March 7, 2019 at 1:10 pm

You should check the CARB regulations related to VOCs in cosmetics. I think 15% in a gel is over the limit.

• gunther

March 7, 2019 at 3:32 pm

Lots and lots of perfumed body splashes and body mists contain alcohol and they aren’t too iritating or dangerous (always add a flammable sign in the label, just in case)

You can estimate the flash point by looking at some charts like
    https://dl.uctm.edu/journal/node/j2010-1/2_Mariana_19-24.pdf
    but keep in mind that many fragrance ingredients are flammable too.

• em88

March 7, 2019 at 3:50 pm
  • ozgirl

March 7, 2019 at 9:40 pm
    The GHS regulations allow for the flash point to be calculated and if the calculated flash point is more than 5 C away from the flash point limits it needs not be determined experimentally. This might be a good start to work out if your product is likely to be classified as flammable.
    However, this calculated method may not be acceptable for transporting dangerous goods.You would need to check the DG regulations. There are also provisions for substances that do not sustain combustion in the DG regulations.
  • gunther

March 8, 2019 at 3:34 pm

What about the flammable label?
    How low is the flash point allowed to be as long as you display FLAMMABLE in the label?

• cossci21

March 12, 2019 at 4:44 am

Hi Everyone,
    I had a laugh at some of these comments.

Whats in a alcoholic hand sanitiser? I dont see flammable on those labels? Do you think they just have a tiny but of alcohol in there to have the sanitising effect?

Thanks ozgirl I will try work out the flashpoint and also try to reduce the amount of ethanol in the formula.

Also thanks Gunther i agree that perfumes also have ethanol in them. Does anyone know how much %? Does their skin catch on fire and burn when they use a perfume spray? Or cologne?

Cheers

• belassi

March 12, 2019 at 4:54 am

Perfume has a mixture of about 10–20% perfume oils mixed with alcohol (acting as a diffusing agent delivering the fragrant odor) and a trace of water. Colognes have about 3–5% perfume oil mixed with 80–90% alcohol with about 5 to 15 percent water in the mix.
    Highly inflammable.

• cossci21

March 12, 2019 at 6:24 am

Thanks Belassi
    Dangerous goods makes it tricky for transport of products! or expensive really

• ozgirl

March 13, 2019 at 9:17 pm
    @cossci21 Alcoholic hand sanitisers contain about 60% ethanol and are definitely flammable.
    Here is a link to one of Australia’s most popular alcoholic hand sanitisers that you can clearly see the dangerous goods flammable label on the back.
    If possible formulate your product to be non-flammable just to save on shipping.