How to dissolve Polyox on water?

I just purchased some Polyox WSR301 to try to increase lubricity in shampoo and conditioner formulations.

When attempting to dissolve in water, it forms lumps despite adding it slowly to water and dispersing/stirring as the TDS says
http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDOWCOM/dh_0046/0901b80380046565.pdf?filepath=polyox/pdfs/noreg/326-00002.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

It's (reverse?) thixotropy is weird
Despite its solution being water thin (for the small amount that did dissolve without lumps), when briefly dipping and lifting a glass stir rod, or pouring water on it while on a mesh, its water drip becomes very stringy.
It even seems to self siphon up
https://www.teachersource.com/product/poly-ox-a-self-siphoning-gel/chemistry-slime

How to properly dissolve it?
Tagged:

Comments

• ozgirlozgirl Member, PCF student
    I haven't used the Polyox resins for cosmetic purposes but have used them in an industrial product. For this it was recommended to make a slurry of the Polyox resin in isopropanol and then add water to the slurry. This method worked well.

According to your TDS (page 6) this method of using alcohols or glycols to create a slurry of the resin should work much better than just using water alone.

Hope this helps
  • Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    +1 for slurries; glycerine works well as it has a relatively high viscosity and slows down the hydration
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • pepepepe Member
    +100 for slurries :))
    you can use propylene glycol beside glycerin. Both of them works well...
  • GuntherGunther Member
    So I thought, slurries are unavoidable with Polyox
    Thanks a lot guys.

@Bill_Toge ; @pepe may I ask what glycerin to Polyox ratio did you use?
    I think I'll try glycerin first, as it doesn't seem to worsen foam and viscosity as much as propylene glycols or alcohols do.
  • pepepepe Member
    3% of glycerin easily disperses 0,3% of peg90m