Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General SEPIPLUS™ 400 for Silicone Feel and Glide-On Spreading Properties?

• SEPIPLUS™ 400 for Silicone Feel and Glide-On Spreading Properties?

Posted by Spadirect on February 25, 2019 at 9:50 pm

What has your experience been using SEPIPLUS™ 400 (INCI: Polyacrylate-13 [and] Polyisobutene [and] Polysorbate 20) in terms of the supposed silicone feel and glide-on spreading properties it imparts to O/W emulsion skin products?

Does SEPIPLUS™ 400 give products sustained slippery dimethicone-like spreading properties and skin feel?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, comments and discussion about SEPIPLUS™ 400.

Thanks!

ngarayeva001 replied 5 years ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • ngarayeva001

February 25, 2019 at 11:28 pm

It totally does. You don’t need silicones when using it. One of the most easy to use polymeric emulsifiers. But don’t believe that it’s electrolyte resistant (seppic market it as such). 

• Spadirect

February 26, 2019 at 12:33 am

@ngarayeva001
    Would you use SEPIPLUS™ 400 to supplant a carbomer or carbopol thickening agent in a formulation?  Or would you consider using SEPIPLUS™ 400 in combination with a carbomer or carbopol as their functions do not overlap?

Thanks again for your many invaluable contributions!

• ngarayeva001

February 26, 2019 at 11:29 am

Sepiplus makes quite a viscous product at 1.5%, so I don’t know if you even need carbomer. Another thing, polymeric emulsifiers are film formers. If you add too much plus carbomer it will peel on the skin. You can use sepiplus as texture enhancer rather than primary emulsifier as well (at a lower %).

• Spadirect

February 26, 2019 at 7:42 pm

@ngarayeva001
    What do think about the idea of employing a completely different emulsifier while adding a very low % of SEPIPLUS™ 400 to act solely as a film former and thereby serve the texture enhancement function of dimethicone in the formula? 

In other words, do you think you might still be able to match (or closely approximate) the sensory profile of dimethicone by using a very low %  of SEPIPLUS™ 400?

Thanks again! 

• ngarayeva001

February 26, 2019 at 11:02 pm

It might work if properly formulated. Try glyceryl stearate/PEG-100 as a main emulsifier plus 2% of cetyl alcohol (because it soaps less) plus 0.5% of sepiplus 400 as thickeners. Based on my experience with sepiplus you should get a decent texture. Again nothing can actually beat dimethicone when you use traditional systems.

• dtdang

March 2, 2019 at 5:12 pm

I used SEPIPLUS 400 with 3% and oil phase of 8%. The results are very nice without any thickeners. The cream is easy to spread, soft. I tested it with cold temperature, room temperature, high temp up to 40 C. It is still in good condition during 48 days.

• dtdang

March 2, 2019 at 5:18 pm

@ngarayeva001, Carbomer is acid with pH = (2.3 - 3.5). So, NaOH is needed to increase the pH = (4 - 5) ?

• ngarayeva001

March 2, 2019 at 10:52 pm

Depends on type of carbomer. Some carbomers forms get at a lower pH than others. Check with the manufacturer.