Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Triethanolamine soap hlb?

• Triethanolamine soap hlb?

Posted by fekher on February 25, 2019 at 8:18 am

I make a lot of research about how can i find the hlb of Triethanolamine soap  as example triethanolamine stearate or triethanolamine beewaxate …. i read an article in this forum wich said that  hlb = % [M(hydrophil part) / ((M(lipophil part) + M(hydrophil part) ) ]  /  5 
    i applied it for triethanolamine oleate and the result was too far for real hlb find in bibliography.
     Any help will be soo apprecited .
    @ngarayeva001 @Chemist77  @Perry
    @Doreen  @Gunther  @Dirtnap1 @pepe
    @em88 

fekher replied 5 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • NeilL

February 25, 2019 at 8:30 am

Is your product going to be an emulsion? If not I don’t think you need to worry about the HLB values of these surfactants. You only need to think about the HLB value when you are trying to form an emulsion.

• fekher

February 25, 2019 at 8:48 am

Exactly @Neil  it is for emulsion .

• ngarayeva001

February 25, 2019 at 10:42 am

@Fekher, I have to give a disclaimer that I don’t have experience with TEA stearate, but here is my understanding: HLB system is only applicable to Non-ionic emulsifiers. Stearates are all anionic (I hope professionals will correct me if it’s wrong). So applying HLB to this system will make no sense. 

Having said that I am very curious how to use TEA as an emulsifier. I tried several lotions in Lush this weekend. The majority of them are made with TEA stearate as an emulsifier. What really surprised me is that they are not soaping as stearic acid usually does.

• fekher

February 25, 2019 at 11:47 am

@ngarayeva001 actually trolamine stearate has in head both positive charge of Amine and negative one of stearate so may we can call it amphoteric molecule and you habe right about we can not use the ordinary hlb formulation to calculate it cause the formulation as you said for no ionic emulsifier so in ionic we talk  i think about hld ( hydropbil lipophil difference … i will read more about it)
    Then in opposit of you trolamine stearate give better texure did not surprise me cause moving from saturated acid to a soap will get more “creamy textutre”.