Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating What prevents water soluble silicones from ending up in the drain instead of on hair?

Tagged: 

• What prevents water soluble silicones from ending up in the drain instead of on hair?

Posted by gunther on February 22, 2019 at 6:20 pm

Don’t water soluble silicones (like PEG-8 dimethicones and Silsense derivatives) get rinsed away, just because they are water soluble?

oldperry replied 5 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • fekher

February 22, 2019 at 6:41 pm

@Gunther i guess peg is water soluble that can be removed by water.

• ngarayeva001

February 22, 2019 at 7:15 pm

@Gunther, it’s a very good question, I am also curious whether it stays on hair or not. I use PEG-8 Dimethicone in shampoos because it improves finger pass when the product is rinsed. So it’s more for the “experience”.

• belassi

February 23, 2019 at 5:25 am

There is a definite effect after drying the hair, with Silsense. Slip, shine, and detangling. 

• oldperry

February 25, 2019 at 5:22 pm

I think most of it does just get rinsed down the drain. This was always a problem I had with using water soluble silicones in rinse off hair products.

In my experience, I was never able to demonstrate a significant effect via tress testing on a blinded basis. We mostly included the material because it affected the feel of the product while in use. I don’t recall seeing any post-use benefits.

• gunther

February 25, 2019 at 7:37 pm

Perry said:

I think most of it does just get rinsed down the drain. This was always a problem I had with using water soluble silicones in rinse off hair products.

In my experience, I was never able to demonstrate a significant effect via tress testing on a blinded basis. We mostly included the material because it affected the feel of the product while in use. I don’t recall seeing any post-use benefits.

I agree. Pretty much anything ends up in the drain in a rinse off product.
    Do you think quaternized silicones, like amodimethicone get a better chance since they’re kind of “attracted” to hair?

• oldperry

February 25, 2019 at 11:24 pm

@Gunther - Yes, these would work much the same way as cetrimonium chloride for example. In the paper, Silicones as conditioning agents in shampoos - K Yahagi - JOURNAL-SOCIETY OF COSMETIC CHEMISTS, 1993
    They show the relative differences in combing effect from highest to lowest was Dimethicone, Amodimethicone, and Dimethicone Copolyol.