Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Grade of Sodium Chloride

• Grade of Sodium Chloride

Posted by MurtazaHakim on February 22, 2019 at 11:03 am

Greetings again to all the members. My query is regarding the Sodium Chloride used in personal care products. Is there any difference between dietary grade NaCl usually known as the table salt and the NaCl used in manufacturing the personal care and cosmetic products ? We are using food grade iodized NaCl for manufacturing the products such as liquid handwashing soap, liquid dishwash etc. at our facility.

ngarayeva001 replied 5 years ago 8 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • EVchem

February 22, 2019 at 1:10 pm

I don’t know of any reason to use iodized salt in cosmetics, the iodine is for nutritional benefit. 

• gunther

February 22, 2019 at 5:06 pm

Some table salt contains tiny grains of sand that will look ugly in cosmetic products.
    Better to stick to USP grade.

• belassi

February 22, 2019 at 5:25 pm

We only use organic sodium chloride here, derived from tiny rockpools refreshed by pristine Atlantic seawater, carefully filtered to ensure that no tiny aquatic lives can be lost when dried by the sun. 

• MurtazaHakim

February 23, 2019 at 5:24 am

@Gunther Is the USP grade iodized ???

• gunther

February 25, 2019 at 8:54 pm

I don’t know for sure, but I believe that it shouldn’t be Iodized in order to meet USP grade.
    http://www.usp.org/sites/default/files/usp/document/harmonization/excipients/sodium_chloride_monograph.pdf

• bill_toge

February 25, 2019 at 9:49 pm

table salt has anti-caking additives, e.g. sodium ferrocyanide; if you want pure salt with no additives, your best bet is the Pure Dried Vacuum (PDV) type

• Anonymous

February 27, 2019 at 4:09 am

Gunther is there any side effect of table salt?

• microformulation

February 27, 2019 at 3:10 pm
    Sodium Chloride USP is iodide free and flow modifier free. It only allows the presence of Na Cl. It is easilly obtained and as such there is little reason to use table salt, especially if you want to be technically accurate.
  • chemicalmatt

February 28, 2019 at 9:14 pm

Belassi, as usual you make this forum fun, mi amigo. Forget all the above and use FCC Grade (Food Codex), cheapest, most abundant, and 100% NaCl.  Iodine free too; although that would help product preservation, no? 

• gunther

February 28, 2019 at 10:28 pm

Mrkhan said:

Gunther is there any side effect of table salt?

So far, only having trouble with its tiny grains of sand becoming noticeable.

• belassi

March 1, 2019 at 2:25 am

Tiny grains of sand?  😮

• ngarayeva001

March 1, 2019 at 5:33 pm

@Belassi, I used himalayan pink salt in one of my experiments with salt curve and grains of sand in the bottom of the beaker were not that tiny. They were pretty noticeable :) 

I am giving a disclaimer before people start throwing rotten tomatos at me: it was one of my first experiements with thickening SLES, it wasn’t a final product, and that was the only salt I had in the kitchen.