Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Tromethamine instead of TEA for neutralizing carbomers

• Tromethamine instead of TEA for neutralizing carbomers

Posted by doreen on February 21, 2019 at 10:28 am

I was browsing one of our pharmacy suppliers’ stock for raw materials and see that a warning is placed next to the TEA. About TEA itself containing secundary amines that can be converted into nitrosamines, even after application on the skin, an advice for replacing it with tromethamine is given (1 grams of tromethamine per 1,35 grams TEA).
    Now that I see the name tromethamine/trometamol, I remember that we indeed neutralized carbomers at school (ages ago) with this instead of TEA (or NaOH). 

What is the opinion in cosmetics nowadays on TEA replacement/nitrosamine forming?

fekher replied 5 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ngarayeva001

February 21, 2019 at 10:52 am

@Fekher, I believe that you know a lot about neutralisers and can contribute to this conversation.

• fekher

February 21, 2019 at 9:08 pm

@ngarayeva001 @Doreen actually industrialized TEA has purity > 99% so if DEA exist it will be go to 0 and Tromethamine is primary Amine wich also can give in some conditions second Amine wich is also nitrosamine so risk will be always exist ☺.

• doreen

February 21, 2019 at 9:39 pm

@Fekher
    Ok thanks!

• fekher

February 22, 2019 at 7:56 am

You are welcome @Doreen