Henna

A 500g sample of henna just arrived from India. I intend trying it as a temporary hair tint in shampoo. There's also another natural product I'd like to try, hibiscus flowers (deep purple-red) used commonly in the drink called 'Jamaica' here.
I realise this probably isn't going to work but I learn from failures as well as successes.
Has anyone tried these ingredients for hair tinting and could give advice, eg about pH to use, etc?
Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.

Comments

• ngarayeva001ngarayeva001 Member
    edited February 13
    Henna isn’t that temporary. It’s actually more permanent  than some dyes and I learned it the hard way.
  • I've just been reading up on it. OK, I see how it works now, it binds with keratin.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • Hibiscus is quite acidic and can lower the pH significantly. (I didn't use it in hair products however)
  • Interesting. I will try it.
  • Good luck and keep us updated! :) 
  • Binds with keratin in hair? That explain why it's impossible to get rid of it. It stains pillowcases, it stains everything. Even worse, it is impossible to apply any other dye except for black after it.
  • I used hibiscus powder in shampoo and henna; it does not give either a temporary or permanent color, but dries my hair. :)
    The henna in shampoo may slightly change the shade of the hair over time, depending on the concentration, but it can be removed. I also advise you not to ignore such grass as indigo. Indigo adds shine and silkiness to hair and does not dry hair, as does henna. 
  • Binds with keratin in hair? That explain why it's impossible to get rid of it. It stains pillowcases, it stains everything. Even worse, it is impossible to apply any other dye except for black after it.
    You can get rid of henna, but not to the state of a platinum blonde. The only herb that can be removed only with scissors, if it is tightly tied with keratin, is Basma.
  • Thank you all for the useful comments.
  • Also, henna works best in acidic pH. But it can stain the skin
  • Belassi said:
    A 500g sample of henna just arrived from India. I intend trying it as a temporary hair tint in shampoo. There's also another natural product I'd like to try, hibiscus flowers (deep purple-red) used commonly in the drink called 'Jamaica' here.
    I realise this probably isn't going to work but I learn from failures as well as successes.
    Has anyone tried these ingredients for hair tinting and could give advice, eg about pH to use, etc?
    Depends on what you are intending to do with it 
    if you want it for color don’t use it in shampoo .
    make a paste with hot water and little lemon juice and it will give a deep orange to red tint 
    mix it with indigo powder and it will give brown to black shade .
    i have used it since the time I was a teenager and wanted to experiment with hair colours 
  • Heena Paste along with some other herbs are used for coloring hair.
    Other ingredients are tea powder, Amla powder, Aloevera Etc.
    The color tone is reddish depends on how much time you keep on hair.
  • Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    the active ingredient, lawsone, is chemically very similar to a number of synthetic semi-permanent dyes, which is why it works the way it does

Indian Standard IS 11142:1984 describes a number of test methods for checking the purity, quality and lawsone content of henna powder; you may find it useful, as adulteration is a common practise even now
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • BelassiBelassi Member
    I tried this and don't understand. I prepared a 5% henna shampoo, using boiling water to activate the henna. The green powder became a dark green liquid.
    I gave it to my wife to try and her hair took on a pale green tint.
    So much for the expected red/brown colour.
  • svensven Member
    @Belassi. Hope your wife was not too upset.

• You need to leave it for several hours until it becomes brown and only then apply.. some leave overnight 
  • BelassiBelassi Member
    Oh. I see. 
    There was another issue. My wife said it made her hair too dry.
  • Yes, it makes hair dry. I had quite a negative experience with it (the shade was nice though), it stained everything and it’s impossible to apply any other dye on top of it. Another proof that natural does not mean good.
  • BelassiBelassi Member
    I think I will abandon this experiment. Sometimes you learn as much from negative results.
  • BelassiBelassi Member
    And the final issue: It falls out as a brown sludge beneath a very unattractive-looking dark brown liquid that looks as if it might be distilled poo.
  • GuntherGunther Member
    AVisotsky said:
    Also, henna works best in acidic pH. But it can stain the skin
    Too bad. I was hoping to make a "natural" beard and mustache (and even scalp hair root) frequent use dye someday, but if it stains skin too...

You need to leave it for several hours until it becomes brown and only then apply.. some leave overnight 
    Did you mean leaving henna soaked in boiling water overnight, is room temperature water fine?

Belassi said:
    Oh. I see. 
    There was another issue. My wife said it made her hair too dry.
    Maybe a semi leave-on / rinse-off conditioner will work better than a shampoo (and can be left on longer than shampoo without drying hair too much)?

Belassi said:
    I think I will abandon this experiment. Sometimes you learn as much from negative results.
    Please don't, I still believe that there's a niche market for natural, gray hair retouch formulations for those who don't need exact shade matching.
  • Bad idea, henna turns grey hair orange (orange like a fruit)
  • svensven Member
    Girls here in ZA mix Henna powder into conditioner and rinse off after a couple of minutes