Methods of Sanitizing Bottles

Hi there, what's the best way to sanitize PET bottles pre-production? Small batch, so doesn't have to be scalable just yet. Making a marketing run at a contractor's facility so I should have all the regular equipment available. They follow all BMPs but it's not a sterile environment. Would appreciate any insights.
Tagged:

Comments

• MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    edited February 2019
    No manufacturer is sterile in Cosmetics. Generally, foreign matter should be limited if stored properly (plastic bags and boxes sealed when possible). A visual inspection and a quick spray with 70% IPA should generally do the trick. If you CM is following cGMP (I assume that is BMP), they will have these processes in place.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • Got ya. Is spraying bottles with IPA a standard practice?
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    Not always. The short answer is that the company should have a process in place to evaluate the cleanliness of the bottles. You should be able to find a sample SOP online.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • Thanks so much!
  • Where I work, the non-sterile (pharmaceutical) skincare packaging isn't treated at all. We use it straight from the boxes. According to GMP we only need to perform a visual inspection. The boxes are stored in a class D (I believe that's ISO class 8) cleanroom environment.
  • This is really informative.  I've seen medical devices manufacturing, but not cosmetics so I have been imagining a level of sterilization that is probably a bit high.
  • I called suppliers to ask about sanitizing airless container s. They told me that I don’t need to sanitize them. Just use the containers from the box