Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Homogenizer recommendations?

• Homogenizer recommendations?

Posted by RSullivan on February 10, 2019 at 11:35 pm

Can anyone recommend a decent first homogenizer? I can’t afford something top of the line yet, but I’d like to get something decent to start learning how to use the piece of equipment and improve the quality of my lotions. I appreciate any insights!

RSullivan replied 5 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • ngarayeva001

February 11, 2019 at 12:23 am

If you are sure that you need a homogenizer you can lookup used silversons on ebay. But even if you are lucky those are not very cheap.

• RSullivan

February 11, 2019 at 2:54 am

If I can get away with something different, I’m all for it right now. I just want another option to the stick blender. I was looking at the Scliogex stirrer also. Would that provide a significant difference?

• ngarayeva001

February 11, 2019 at 12:48 pm

An alternative to a stick blender is an overhead stirrer provided that you don’t need high shear. So if you use polymers and stick blender instroduces too much air, you can find a cheap chinese overhead stirrer on ebay for $100. And they work fine. You can get much smoother texture of your lotions with an overhead stirrer. Also you can set it up for, say, 30 minutes and leave it do the job. You can’t do that with a stick blender as you have to hold it.

• ozgirl

February 13, 2019 at 10:14 pm

I recently saw a review (on the Making Skincare Facebook group) of the Dynamix blender for use making cosmetic emulsions. It is technically a hospitality emulsifier but should do the job and is a lot cheaper than the equivalent laboratory emulsifiers.

• ngarayeva001

February 13, 2019 at 11:20 pm

There’s not much difference between the stick blender above and dynamix. The bosh might incorporate more air but I don’t think it is worth difference in price.

• RSullivan

February 18, 2019 at 1:28 am

Thank you, everyone!