Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Ingredients Used to Blur Fine Lines

• Ingredients Used to Blur Fine Lines

Posted by MaisR on February 4, 2019 at 9:36 pm

I have been researching ingredients that can be used to blur fine lines. This is for use in a hand cream.  

I’ve come across a few options:

• Pure silica for blurring fine lines. I know MakingCosmetics does a product called WrinkleBlur which features silica so this could be an option. 
    • Would a film former like hydrolyzed protein work in this regard?
    • Another option is isoamyl laureate which is said to be a natural silicone alternative.

Are there other ingredients/ingredient classes that can be used for this purpose?

dtdang replied 5 years, 1 month ago 6 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • doreen

February 5, 2019 at 10:57 am

I’ve recently bought Ronaflair Flawless , which can also be used for the purpose you mention. I don’t know where you are living, but the DIY shop Alexmo Cosmetics in Germany has a selection of several similar powders.
    I will be using it for mattifying properties and haven’t used it yet, so I have no idea if it really works for blurring fine lines.

Isoamyl Laurate is a great ester, but I can’t imagine it having any effect on fine lines, like blurring products are said to do. I’ve used it in many emulsions (Dermofeel Sensolv from Evonik/Dr. Straetmans).
    I also don’t think that hydrolyzed proteins have much visual effect. And they smell horrible!

Edit: Added a brochure of Ronaflair Flawless and LDP White.

• ngarayeva001

February 5, 2019 at 12:31 pm

https://lotioncrafter.com/products/lotioncrafter-el40

This one is better and earier to work with than wrinkleblur

• MaisR

February 5, 2019 at 7:01 pm

@Doreen- Thank you for your input. I’ve had a look at the Ronaflair Flawless and because of the silica content I’m thinking it should work. Taken from the Cossma site it says “this one-of-a-kind functional filler immediately reduces the appearance of lines and wrinkles. Bead-shaped particles roll into and fill out the wrinkle, dispersing light evenly in all directions. The interplay of light and shadow that generally highlights these imperfections is minimized to give an overall even skin appearance.” Thank you for the product brochure. I’m based in the UK so Germany is accessible to me.  

Isoamyl Laurate- because it is supposed to be a natural alternative to silicone I thought it would fill in fine lines but after further research it is more of a dry oil ester. So scratch that. 

Hydrolyzed proteins do have a very bad smell I agree. Again, after more research I think they are used as film formers on the hair and skin but this won’t have much visual effect on fine lines.

Thanks for your input.

• MaisR

February 5, 2019 at 7:03 pm

@ngarayeva001- Thank you for your suggestion. I did check the link but in this instance I do prefer something without silicone. 

Thanks.

• bill_toge

February 6, 2019 at 9:49 pm
    in my experience hydrophobically coated starches (e.g. Agenaflo 9050 from Agrana Stärke GmbH) work well for this
    besides these, there are a number of silicone-coated powders which do the same job, and are used in many commercial products
  • doreen

February 8, 2019 at 7:09 pm

@MaisR
    You’re welcome and good luck! :-)

• MaisR

February 10, 2019 at 2:02 pm

@Bill_Toge Thank you for your suggestions. I have had a look and noted them down and will see if I can try them out in small quantities.

• dtdang

February 10, 2019 at 4:29 pm

@MaisR, is it the same ingredient that is used on instant lift cream?
    I also tried Hydrolyzed proteins, but the results are poor.
    I will order WrinkleBlur from Making Cosmetics and try. Please post your results. 

Thanks

• MaisR

February 12, 2019 at 8:24 pm

@Dtdang I’m not sure if it is the same or not. I’m glad you said about the hydrolyzed proteins. I was going to try them but now I know not to (for this particular purpose of line blurring). I will post my results too. 

• dtdang

February 13, 2019 at 1:58 am

@MaisR, Thanks in advance.

• Sponge

February 14, 2019 at 2:10 pm

Nylon-12? Corn starch?

• dtdang

February 16, 2019 at 8:27 pm

@Sponge, I used corn starch for reducing the grease one time. Then I adjust ratio dry oil and wet oil. The grease reduces significantly.

• dtdang

February 25, 2019 at 4:03 pm

@MaisR, just found “ skin tight” that makes skin tightening and lift making wrinkles gone 
    but lasts only 2 hours- that’s not so good.