Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Face wash Formula Surfactants

• Face wash Formula Surfactants

Posted by Jdawgswife76 on January 30, 2019 at 7:15 pm

I am trying to formulate a face wash with the surfactants I currently have on hand and would like some input on the surfactant usage. I currently have coco betain and a decyl glucoside sodium lauroyl lactylate BLEND. I was thinking after looking at the ASM about using
    14% of the blend with ASM of 50-59 and 
    5% coco betain with ASM 30% this comes to if calculations and math are correct to total 9.43 ASM. Can anyone provide any opinion or helpful information please? I have not formulated a face wash o shampoos as I work mostly with everything else but cleansers. 

oldperry replied 5 years, 1 month ago 6 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • belassi

January 30, 2019 at 7:17 pm

Just do it. That’s how we learn.

• Jdawgswife76

January 30, 2019 at 8:11 pm

o ok great advise thanks!

• Jdawgswife76

January 30, 2019 at 8:13 pm

anyone else have ant possible advise please? Just on my just on my ASM for the face wash i know it should be 10% surfactant matter for the face but as far as the ingredients if anyone has experience with these 2 together?

• Jdawgswife76

January 31, 2019 at 5:06 am

Wow is it the lack of knowledge on kne of these surfactants thats keeping the “professionals” from weighing in?  I have noticed that there havent been alot answering or replies kn Chemist Corner lately.  Is the website still functioning?  

• belassi

January 31, 2019 at 5:24 am

Think about it. How many people here will have had experience with that particular blend? How do we even know what blend that is? It’s as if I were to ask a similar question:
    “Hi guys, I am using a blend, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate (and) Ammonium Laureth Sulfate (and) Lauramide DEA (and) Lauryl Glucoside (and) Ammonium Xylenesulfonate, and some CAPB, can you tell me if you think that 20% would be enough?”
    Or I could have said,
    “Hi guys, I have mixed 20% of Stepan APB with 10% of CAPB and it seems a bit too thin, what do you think?
    I must ask you this: Have you tried it? If not, why not? What was the result? This is a trivial exercise in the lab.

• SwiftCraftyMonkey

January 31, 2019 at 4:04 pm

Wow is it the lack of knowledge on kne of these surfactants thats keeping the “professionals” from weighing in?  I have noticed that there havent been alot answering or replies kn Chemist Corner lately.  Is the website still functioning?  

Clearly the forum is functioning, so there may be some other reason you aren’t receiving any responses to your barely a day old post. 

My advice is to try these ideas you have and observe the results rather than asking theoretical questions and expecting the members of this forum to engage in speculation or to create a formula for you. Many of us very knowledgeable about surfactants, and that knowledge came from working with them for years, creating formula after formula, observing the results, then formulating again. I love working with surfactants, and that love arose from a many years of experimentation, which I encourage others to do. 

Please don’t put quotes around “professionals” as it’s insulting. 

• Jdawgswife76

January 31, 2019 at 7:12 pm

Clearly the forum is functioning, so there may be some other reason you aren’t receiving any responses to your barely a day old post. 

My advice is to try these ideas you have and observe the results rather than asking theoretical questions and expecting the members of this forum to engage in speculation or to create a formula for you. Many of us very knowledgeable about surfactants, and that knowledge came from working with them for years, creating formula after formula, observing the results, then formulating again. I love working with surfactants, and that love arose from a many years of experimentation, which I encourage others to do. 

Please don’t put quotes around “professionals” as it’s insulting. 

Well my dear you may take it how you want to and not everyone in here  is a professional,  other than swlf proclaimed. I think I made  it very clear with the question when stated “has anyone worked with these 2”.  Unless your involving yourself more than you can hndle at once maybe  you were reading a different post.  I dont need anyone to provide me with a formula and i dont need the attitude  either.  If you dont have the experience with these and/or want to answer the question dont engage yourselves in it.  Its very simple.. .Its not science.  Seems to me like some people use this as an outlet to be bitter rather than to help..  I beleive this forum is for the  purpose  of questions and way ins not smart remarks and assumptions!  

• ngarayeva001

January 31, 2019 at 9:17 pm

You don’t get responds because of your attitude. Also if you don’t know who swiftcraftymonkey and call her self proclaimed you are clearly lacking knowledge about formulation world (which is quite small). 

• belassi

January 31, 2019 at 9:25 pm

You didn’t even respond to my question.  :/

• oldperry

January 31, 2019 at 10:31 pm

@Jdawgswife76 - The main reason you aren’t getting many helpful responses is because you haven’t asked specific enough questions.  You said “(I) would like some input on the surfactant usage…” - this is too vague for me to address. What input would you like? What do you want to know? The best I’ve got is yes, use surfactants for face wash. 9% may work or it may be too much. Only you can decide if it’s too much. Is it too drying when you try it? This may or may not be helpful for you so I have no idea if that’s what you want to know.

You also asked “
    Can anyone provide any opinion or helpful information please?” - Again, this isn’t a specific enough question to get a helpful answer. 

This forum is most useful for getting specific questions answered.

But also, no one is getting paid to post here. Everyone here is being generous with their time & expertise and participate because they either want to learn something or teach something. You may get answers in hours, but it may take a few days to get any responses. Be patient. 

—-to everyone

Please give people the benefit of the doubt. Text is not always an efficient way to communicate exactly what you want to say so something may come off as rude when it wasn’t meant to be.

Do your best to view all comments in a friendly light. And develop a thick skin. No one is trying to make anyone else look stupid, feel bad or become embarrassed. Ask for clarification of what has been said before you get upset and start throwing out insults. 

And thank you for participating in the forum. I appreciate you all hope you find it a helpful, friendly place on the Internet.

• Jdawgswife76

February 1, 2019 at 2:53 am

Perry said:

@Jdawgswife76 - The main reason you aren’t getting many helpful responses is because you haven’t asked specific enough questions.  You said “(I) would like some input on the surfactant usage…” - this is too vague for me to address. What input would you like? What do you want to know? The best I’ve got is yes, use surfactants for face wash. 9% may work or it may be too much. Only you can decide if it’s too much. Is it too drying when you try it? This may or may not be helpful for you so I have no idea if that’s what you want to know.

You also asked “Can anyone provide any opinion or helpful information please?” - Again, this isn’t a specific enough question to get a helpful answer. 

This forum is most useful for getting specific questions answered.

But also, no one is getting paid to post here. Everyone here is being generous with their time & expertise and participate because they either want to learn something or teach something. You may get answers in hours, but it may take a few days to get any responses. Be patient. 

—-to everyone

Please give people the benefit of the doubt. Text is not always an efficient way to communicate exactly what you want to say so something may come off as rude when it wasn’t meant to be.

Do your best to view all comments in a friendly light. And develop a thick skin. No one is trying to make anyone else look stupid, feel bad or become embarrassed. Ask for clarification of what has been said before you get upset and start throwing out insults. 

And thank you for participating in the forum. I appreciate you all hope you find it a helpful, friendly place on the Internet.

Thank you perry! This would have easier in the beginning. My question posted was has anyone has experience with using these 2 together. I stated that I was new to formulating with face washes and would like ANY opinions or assistance. I really do not know how much more specific to ask the question. All i ask is that for the ones in here who read posts and have nothing to contribute, please do not reply with there assumptions and snotty remarks as this will make others not even want to come here seeking advice or opinion.
    Thank you for stepping in and clarifying things for EVERYONE!

• Jdawgswife76

February 1, 2019 at 3:31 am

You don’t get responds because of your attitude. Also if you don’t know who swiftcraftymonkey and call her self proclaimed you are clearly lacking knowledge about formulation world (which is quite small). 

Once again your assumptions are very sad. You know nothing of my formulating skills and I know of Swiftcraftmonkey , as she created a website and charges a monthly subscription to give out formulas and dupe others formulators, yet states on previous post that she encourages everyone to learn by experimenting themselves (which is common sense in this business/hobby) lol. just because I have preferred not to formulate certain things or have had no past interest in them  does not mean that I have no formulating knowledge so please, TRY to keep it professional when replying to posts and it makes you look bad to only waste characters in this blog with unhelpful remarks and assumptions. 
    Good Day

• SwiftCraftyMonkey

February 1, 2019 at 5:55 am

Once again your assumptions are very sad. You know nothing of my formulating skills and I know of Swiftcraftmonkey , as she created a website and charges a monthly subscription to give out formulas and dupe others formulators, yet states on previous post that she encourages everyone to learn by experimenting themselves (which is common sense in this business/hobby) lol. just because I have preferred not to formulate certain things or have had no past interest in them  does not mean that I have no formulating knowledge so please, TRY to keep it professional when replying to posts and it makes you look bad to only waste characters in this blog with unhelpful remarks and assumptions. 
    Good Day

If I might interject as you’re speaking about me, it’s abundantly clear you don’t know my blog or my work if you think that I “give out formulas” or “dupe other formulators” and that my suggestion to experiment is somehow laughable. I would ask you to refrain from interacting with me or discussing my work in such an unprofessional manner in the future as our paths need never cross again. I wish you all the best in your future endeavours. 

• doreen

February 1, 2019 at 3:35 pm

@Jdawgswife76
    How dare you speak about SwiftCraftyMonkey like that! I’m appalled!
    Why is it that you are so filled with hatred?

edit: typo

• oldperry

February 1, 2019 at 3:53 pm

This post has become unproductive & unrelated to formulating so it is being closed.

The discussion ‘Face wash Formula Surfactants’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now