Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Using Q-Max co-enzyme Q10 in emulsion?

• Using Q-Max co-enzyme Q10 in emulsion?

Posted by Willow on January 29, 2019 at 9:07 pm

Has anyone successfully used Q-Max (INCI: C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (and) Tocopheryl Acetate (and) Ubiquinone) in an o/w emulsion?  In a wide variety of lotions it always precipitates out (little pockets of orange oil dotted throughout the lotion).  It does so less than the powded ubiquitonone I tried prior to that.  I’ve read it’s heat sensitive, but I have always put it in my heated oil phase.  I would think that heat would hurt the potency but could that cause the precipitaion as well?  I’m considering trying it added at cool down, but before I waste more $ and time I’d love to know how other folks are having success with it.

I can post an example formula, but I’m not really looking for formula help, more something alone the lines of “yeah, it’s great stuff, you’re doing it wrong” to “super tricky, not worth your time”.

Thanks!

Catherine

markbroussard replied 5 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • EVchem

January 30, 2019 at 11:54 am

Not the exact same, but I’ve used lipogard (INCI Squalane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ubiquinone) and have also seen the orange precipitate straight in the supplier’s bottle. Their tech sheet has this to say

• markbroussard

January 30, 2019 at 2:03 pm

@willow:

It sounds like you are not homogenizing properly … it’s probably a technique issue and not an ingredient issue.

Are you using a homogenizer or a stick blender to make your emulsion?