Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Dog shampoo bars?

• oldperry

January 24, 2019 at 10:40 pm
  • Margaret2

January 25, 2019 at 3:15 am

That’s just regular soap, ja?:  Saponified Coconut*, Olive*, Castor*, Sunflower*, Jojoba*, and Rice Bran Oils*, Neem Oil*, Organic Aloe Vera Juice, Lemongrass Essential Oil, Spearmint Essential Oil, Sulfur, Stearic Acid & Vitamin E. (*Organic).

I’m referring to shampoooooo bars, made with surfactants like sodium cocoyl isethionate, sodium cocosulfate and cocamidopropyl betaine. 

• anniemarie

January 25, 2019 at 6:56 pm

@Margreat  We’re really pleased with “Lion’s Market by Ann Shampoo Bar for Canines’.  I just posted this in another area asking a similar questionl

• Margaret2

January 26, 2019 at 2:45 am

@anniemarie. Aren’t those Lion’s Market items bars of soap? 

• belassi

January 26, 2019 at 5:36 am

It’s soap. Using soap on a dog is just plain stupid.

• microformulation

January 26, 2019 at 2:36 pm
    Absolutely. My biggest vet client is a Veterinary Dermatologist. She rails against the use of saponified soaps in Vet use whenever it comes up. She sees canines with skin issues with the “Natural” liquid soap shampoos all the time.
  • markbroussard

January 26, 2019 at 3:29 pm

Yes, those are bars of soap that the marketer is trying to position as formulated for dogs. 

Nonsense … it’s soap, so it will have a pH of at least 9.0 and, in my opinion, should not be used on dogs.

Look at the ways dogs cleanse & groom naturally … using water, shaking, licking themselves … you’ll want to use the most gentle, pH-balanced cleanser you can find.

Your best models for developing dog shampoos are tear-free baby shampoos. 

I have a poodle and make up a simple Plantapon TF ( Decyl Glucoside (and) Polyglyceryl-10 Caprylate/Caprate (and) Coco-Glucoside (and) Glyceryl Oleate) mix consisting of nothing more than Water, Plantapon TF, pH adjuster 

• ngarayeva001

January 26, 2019 at 6:25 pm

I wonder if the same logic (pH balanced mild surfactants and water) would work for cats?

• markbroussard

January 26, 2019 at 7:12 pm

Sure, cats live in the same nature as dogs.  I don’t know anything specific about cat’s skin, but if you do some research, I’m sure the info is out there.

• Margaret2

January 28, 2019 at 8:11 pm

I’m still wondering why there are no shampoo bars i.e. syndet bars for dogs. Any ideas?

• Margaret2

January 28, 2019 at 8:34 pm

What about a syndet bar for washing dogs that contained THESE ingredients, adjusted to a final pH of 7?:

Sodium Cococylisethionate 65% (without stearic acid in the SCI)
    Cocamidopropyl Betaine 13%
    Sodium Cocosulfate 10%
    Stearic Acid 2%
    Cetyl Alcohol 3%
    Glycerin 2%
    Sodium Lactate (60% solution) 3%
    Lavender buds (for a little scent) 2%

• markbroussard

January 29, 2019 at 1:38 pm

There may well have been in the past.  Perhaps the bars for dogs were replaced by liquid products due to overwhelming consumer preference for the liquid products … I would much rather us a liquid on my dog than trying to work up a good lather with a bar.

• oldperry

January 29, 2019 at 2:36 pm

I agree with @MarkBroussard. There probably was a product like that on the market. But for business reasons (e.g. not enough customers, bad timing or not enough profit) it didn’t last.

It’s likely that nearly every idea that anyone conceives has already been tried on the market. If it’s not still around, it failed and was abandoned. That doesn’t mean someone else can’t take the same idea and be successful with it.

• Margaret2

January 29, 2019 at 3:13 pm

Thanks @MarkBroussard and Joggling @Perry !

• Margaret2

January 29, 2019 at 3:18 pm

I think @MarkBroussard, most of us here could “work up a good lather” using a bar vs. liquid  by reading the B.S. claims on many cosmetic products..get it? Get it? ?