Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Non-Sticky Magnesium Ingredient for Cream?

• Non-Sticky Magnesium Ingredient for Cream?

Posted by Spadirect on January 23, 2019 at 2:25 am

Are there any forms of topical magnesium that are truly non-tacky and do not leave behind a noticeable sensation of residue when applied to the skin?

In other words, have any personal care ingredient suppliers created a magnesium-containing ingredient for skincare that actually has a pleasant non-tacky skin feel and leaves a light, non-residual skin after feel?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, comments and discussion about magnesium-containing ingredients for use in skin creams and lotions.

Thanks!

microformulation replied 5 years, 2 months ago 6 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • doreen

January 23, 2019 at 2:24 pm

What is the purpose of the magnesium in your cream?

• gunther

January 23, 2019 at 2:55 pm

Magnesium stearate?
    It is used as a lubricant and demolding aid.

• doreen

January 23, 2019 at 3:04 pm

@Gunther
    I have no idea which/what magnesium salt is used here.

• ngarayeva001

January 23, 2019 at 3:24 pm

@Gunther, I bought some magnesium stearate as it is required to stabilise a formulation (W/O material as per the supplier). But I have way too much, so trying to figure out what other application it has. I suspect it will decrease viscosity of polymers as it reads like salt to me. Would be great if you can share your experiece.

• doreen

January 23, 2019 at 3:34 pm

@ngarayeva001
    It isn’t sure if magnesium stearate is meant here. If the purpose is for stabilizing a W/O it might as well be magnesium sulfate.

• ngarayeva001

January 23, 2019 at 3:36 pm

Depends on the material. For example Empilan DPHS requires both magnesium sulfate and magnesium stearate. If you skip magnesium stearate it will still emulsify but viscosity changes dramatically. 

• doreen

January 23, 2019 at 3:48 pm

@ngarayeva001
    No, the question asker here doesn’t mention what magnesium salt she/he means. I just mentioned a magnesium salt as an example that it might be any magnesium salt that is meant here.

• Spadirect

January 24, 2019 at 2:58 am

@Doreen
    I would like to know which specific magnesium salt could be added to a skin cream that would have decent transdermal penetration without being sticky or leaving a residue on the skin.

The purpose of the magnesium salt would be as an active ingredient (a form of transdermal magnesium supplementation as in magnesium oil) to supplement magnesium, like a Epsom salt bath but in the form of a skin cream.  The main aim of its potential inclusion in a cream formula would not be for emulsion stabilization but rather as an active.  Ideally, it could perform both functions.

Is there such a thing as a magnesium salt/oil that is not sticky and does not leave a salt residue on your skin after application?  If so, what specific form of topical magnesium salt/oil would have these desirable characteristics?

Thanks again!

• doreen

January 24, 2019 at 4:16 am

I have no idea what magnesium salt would be best for transdermal absorption and that doesn’t leave a sticky residue.

Maybe others here can chime in who know more about this subject.
    Good luck with finding a solution! :-)

Edit: typo

• belassi

January 24, 2019 at 5:26 am

According to this report, you are either wasting your time or peddling fairy dust. 

In the following review, we evaluated the current literature and evidence-based data on transdermal magnesium application and show that the propagation of transdermal magnesium is scientifically unsupported. 

So, basically, you needn’t worry about it. Just put in 0.1% of whatever magnesium salt you like and write, “With MAGNESIUM” on the label.

• microformulation

January 24, 2019 at 7:29 pm

And if you really had any substantial absorption, it is no longer a Cosmetic.

• Spadirect

January 25, 2019 at 5:20 pm

@Belassi
    The study was enlightening.  Thanks!

• gunther

January 25, 2019 at 5:24 pm

Magnesium stearate is used as a mold and pharmaceutical lubricant and leaves a powdery afterfeel. Of course too much of it will leave a clumpy, whitish residue.
    You can purchase a pound or Kg of it for a couple $, and see how it feels.

The real challenge is that it won’t dissolve in water, so it needs to be suspended.

• microformulation

January 25, 2019 at 6:16 pm

I would wager that we are speaking about Magnesium sulfate in a solution. It is unfortunately called Magnesium oil the crappers, oops crafters.