• belassi

January 16, 2019 at 8:36 pm

I am not at all surprised.

• doreen

January 17, 2019 at 10:18 am

Neither am I, Belassi.

About the brand names. Why would it be that some are named differently in other countries? Like Olay for instance. It’s always been ‘Oil of Olaz’ here (and now it’s just ‘Olaz’).

• jeremien

January 17, 2019 at 10:33 am

what about ingredient companies? there is no such monopoly isn t it?

• belassi

January 17, 2019 at 3:59 pm

Brand names can be problematic. I recall the case of a UK-made perfume, “Exotic Mist” that was refused import at the German border. This might seem unreasonable if you don’t know the meaning of ‘mist’ in colloquial German.

• microformulation

January 17, 2019 at 4:27 pm
    Wow, didn’t see that coming! I believe it means “manure” if I am correct.
  • oldperry

January 17, 2019 at 6:40 pm

I should point out this article is a little out of date.  Unilever no longer owns VO5

• mikethair

January 19, 2019 at 7:37 am

And if you’re a new brand one of these guys might buy you up if you get big enough.

Yes, indeed. This happened to Le Labo, founded in 2006 by a couple of French guy who initially had trouble attracting investors who just couldn’t get fired up with the business plan. So they went ahead on their own.
    In 2014 they were purchased by Estée Lauder. Worry now is with this corporate backing, Le Labo will lose its indie appeal and all the exclusive qualities that made it. I guess time will tell.

We have had approaches, but I’m simply not interested. Love making things and not having others telling me what to do.