Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating My body lotion formulation cut after putting citric acid any help

• belassi

January 12, 2019 at 9:07 pm

What do you mean by “cut”?
    This is not the way to ask for help.
    You should put the formula with percentages and describe the problem you have and what you have done so far to try to fix it. We are not telepathic here…

• enzinhoo

January 12, 2019 at 9:15 pm

Belassi said:

What do you mean by “cut”?
    This is not the way to ask for help.
    You should put the formula with percentages and describe the problem you have and what you have done so far to try to fix it. We are not telepathic here…

• enzinhoo

January 12, 2019 at 9:21 pm

i mean after i make my formulation and add citric acid to lower the ph it become unstable and the viscosity become very low 

• ngarayeva001

January 12, 2019 at 10:21 pm

Post a formula…..

• markbroussard

January 13, 2019 at 12:06 am

@enzinhoo:

It is probably an emulsifier issue … you may be using an emulsifier that is not stable at lower pH levels.  As noted above, if you post a formula you can get better advice.

• enzinhoo

January 13, 2019 at 12:55 am

Post a formula…..

• enzinhoo

January 13, 2019 at 12:59 am

5 %isopropyl mristate

2 %stearic acid 
    1.5% steartyl alcohol 
    0.2% cetyl alcohol 
    0.5% dimethicone

80%water 
    5%glycerin 
    0.5 % triethanolmine 
    0.3% carbomer 
    0.6 %dmdm
  • markbroussard

January 13, 2019 at 1:18 am

Your problem is that you are only using Stearic Acid as an emulsifier which requires a pH above 7 in order for it to “soap” to function as an emulsifier.  Also, you don’t have nearly enough Stearic Acid … you should increase that to 5% to 6%.

You need to add a second emulsifier … I might recommend adding Glyceryl Stearate at 3%.

Finally, you will need to let the emulsion cool to room temperature before making your pH adjustment with citric acid.  Keep your final pH around 5 to 5.5.

• chemicalmatt

January 15, 2019 at 8:42 pm

Better yet: add more stearic acid and GMS as Mark suggests, adjust the TEA  incrementally higher, then don’t add any citric acid at all, ever. Citric acid is an electrolyte and those crash carbomer gels. That’s why your viscosity sank.