PEG-40 HCO

Good evening,

I would like to ask if it is possible to substitute PEG-40 HCO with castor oil [INCI:Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil] in a simple lip butter formula, due to the lack of the first. 

Thank you!

Comments

• No. They are not the same at all. One is an emulsifier, the other requires an emulsifier.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • Are you sure it’s PEG-40 HCO in the lip butter? It’s has rather nasty taste. It could be hydrogenated castor oil which is actually a wax, not the PEG. What is your benchmark product?
  • Thank you very much for your time and your responces. :) At first, I had the misconception that the stability of the final product will be benefited by the use of an emulsifier. I am trying to formulate from the start a lip butter for personal use. 
  • ngarayeva001ngarayeva001 Member
    edited December 2018
    PEG-40 HCO will give it very nice slip, but it has rather unpleasant taste. Since most of lipbalms don’t have water, you don’t really need an emulsifier. A lipbalm can be made of waxes (beeswax, candelila wax, carnauba wax) and oils. Melt 20% of beeswax with 80% of castor oil and you will get a very simple lipbalm. Butters tend to crystallize. You can mix oil and butter but don’t use more than 20% of butter (it’s not scientific it’s my experience with shea butter and cocoa butter). I saw a product with hydrogenated castor oil. It’s not the same as PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil. The first one is a wax.
  • I will give it a try :) :)