Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Shaving soap additivss

• Shaving soap additivss

Posted by TimMcG on December 28, 2018 at 7:49 pm

I’ve been working on a shaving soap - it’s primarily stearic acid and beef tallow. 
    Morr and more soap makers are adding a long list of specialty oils to improve the post shave skin conditioning feel. Some of these also help with the slickness. 

The problem is using too many of these inhibits the lather of the soap and it loses cushion. 

What can can I add instead to increase the slickness and hydrating/conditioning feel?

TimMcG replied 5 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • belassi

December 28, 2018 at 8:17 pm

silicone ester, sorbitol.

• chemist77

December 30, 2018 at 1:38 pm

Polyox WSR 301 aka PEG-90M used for sensorial enhancement in such products. It is a Dow product. 

• fekher

December 30, 2018 at 3:18 pm

@TimMcG stearic acid with coco fatty acid sapofined with combination Koh and NaOh can give verry good shaving soap.

• TimMcG

January 2, 2019 at 3:22 am

Fekher said:

@TimMcG stearic acid with coco fatty acid sapofined with combination Koh and NaOh can give verry good shaving soap.

The basis of the shaving soap is stearic acid, beef tallow and coconut oil. There are a few other oils/butters as well. It is saponified with KOH/NaOH. 

Instead of adding a litany of expensive oils after saponification, I was looking to see what modern chemistry could add.