Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Help Suspending Lipobead Detox with Charcoal in a shampoo

• Help Suspending Lipobead Detox with Charcoal in a shampoo

Posted by Heberth on December 17, 2018 at 9:57 pm

Hello this is my first post, and I will appreciate very much your help.

Im trying to create a Clarifying Shampoo with the Lipobead Detox with Charcoal suspended
    INCI: Cellulose and Mannitol and Hydroxypropyl Methylcellullose
    Size: 700 microns

I have tried using Carbomer but it doesn’t work  when I add the surfactants it loses viscosity.
    I also tried Lubrizol Carbopol Aqua SF1 and it worked ok but needs 8% and its very expensive and hard to find for me.
    Now with the Hydroxyethylcellulose the beads go to the bottom in 24 hours even when the viscosity is very high, could you please help me?

This is the formula

Aqua

hydroxyethylcellulose

Disodium EDTA

Polyquaternium-7

guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride

Sodium Laureth Ether Sulfato 70%

Cocamidopropyl betaine 33 %

Cocamide DEA 30 %

Citric Acid

Methylchloroisothiazolinone (and) Methylisothiazolinone (Salicat MM)

Lipobead Detox with Charcoal Cellulose and Mannitol and Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose

Fragance

vjay replied 5 years, 3 months ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • khoikhoa

December 18, 2018 at 6:11 am

@Heberth,
     1. Salicat MM : 0.5% is too high, out of regulation
    2. HEC can not suspend beads
    3. for saving cost, you can use Carbopol Ultrez-20, 1%

• belassi

December 18, 2018 at 5:50 pm

— Stand by for horrendous allergic responses! I hope your product insurance is paid up.

• bill_toge

December 18, 2018 at 10:42 pm
    what you need is a surfactant-tolerant carbomer, e.g. Carbopol Ultrez 20/21; as you’ve discovered, HEC won’t help suspend particles
    if you go down this route I strongly suggest taking out the quaternised guar as well, it’ll make things a lot simpler
  • Heberth

December 19, 2018 at 1:37 am

khoikhoa said:

@Heberth,
     1. Salicat MM : 0.5% is too high, out of regulation
    2. HEC can not suspend beads
    3. for saving cost, you can use Carbopol Ultrez-20, 1%

Thank you very much for your help, I will try Carbopol Ultrez as you mention and also reduce the Salicat MM.

Belassi said:

— Stand by for horrendous allergic responses! I hope your product insurance is paid up.

Thank you, didn’t know about the allergic reactions my provider sell it to me as a safer or more natural option to DMD hydantoin

Bill_Toge said:

what you need is a surfactant-tolerant carbomer, e.g. Carbopol Ultrez 20/21; as you’ve discovered, HEC won’t help suspend particles
    if you go down this route I strongly suggest taking out the quaternised guar as well, it’ll make things a lot simpler

Thank you very much, ill be taking your advise and remove guar. 

• ozgirl

December 19, 2018 at 3:34 am
    Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone are used by many large companies including P&G and Loreal. It is only a problem for people who are allergic and when used in leave on products and in high amounts.
    There are many people who have a sensitivity to potassium sorbate which is also regularly used as a preservative in “natural” products.
  • belassi

December 19, 2018 at 3:38 am

Sodium benzoate at 0.4% and pH <5 has been totally reliable for me.

• khoikhoa

December 19, 2018 at 5:59 am

In my country, we control CMIT/MIT amount as this link http://ec.europa.eu/growth/tools-databases/cosing/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.results&annex_v2=V&search. ordinal 39. For rinse-off only

• vjay

December 21, 2018 at 11:59 am

Ultrez 20 is the best option for suspending the beads, i used in many products, and dossage will go approx 0.8 to 1.0 % based on your trial and error you need to finalize.