Question about Vitamin E solubility

edited December 2018 in General
Hello, How much polysorbate 80 is need for dissolving 0.1% tocophryl in 100 gr water?

Comments

• :) found it
  • First add tween 80 to vit E in same amount then add to water phase
  • Interesting.  For fragrances you typically need a 4:1 ratio of polysorbate to fragrance. But a vitamin is clearly different. 
  • Two questions: 1)have you tried it yourself 2) Is the liquid transparent or cloudy? I tried to incorporate 1% of tocopheryl acetate to a serum. It took 4:1 of PEG-40 HCO (which is much better solubilizer than poly 80) to achieve  clear liquid 
  • There is no set ratio that you can plug into a Formula and automatically get the proper solubilization. You need to determine this empirically in the Lab.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications.
  • edited December 2018
    nara said:
    First add tween 80 to vit E in same amount then add to water phase
    I thought vitamin E was notoriously 'difficult' to solubilize to a clear dispersion, i.e. needs considerably more solubilizer than the same amount.

@ngarayeva001
    PEG-40 HCO (which is much better solubilizer than poly 80
    I think it depends on what substance you're solubilizing, whether poly 80 is better or worse than another.
  • Currently water soluble form of Vitamin E available, fresh formulator have to use that one only.