Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Advanced Questions Fizzy emulsion - ways to avoid fizz

• Fizzy emulsion - ways to avoid fizz

Posted by Lisani on December 15, 2018 at 11:35 pm

Hello everyone,

i am am having problem of emulsion fizz, means after some time, it release gases when I open the package, and sometimes it feels like the bottle is about to explode.
    The emulsion contains fatty acids, silicones and Glyoxylic Acid (50% solution) in 40%. 
    Even if the emulsion is thick, it forms a foam after some time (around 3-4 days).

I am using TMS-50 as an emulsifier, in 2%.

is there any way to avoid this? 

Thanks for the help,

Aaron

chemicalmatt replied 5 years, 3 months ago 6 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • belassi

December 16, 2018 at 6:21 am

It sounds as if you are combining an organic acid with a cationic emulsifier? Is that so?

• Lisani

December 16, 2018 at 11:15 am

That is correct @Belassi, is there any option to keep this emulsifier and avoid fizz? 

• belassi

December 16, 2018 at 4:20 pm

I don’t see that it would be possible, you’re basically making a bath bomb.

• Lisani

December 16, 2018 at 8:32 pm

Thanks @Belassi, can you recommend an alternative emulsifier that can be suitable for this formulation? I chose the TMS-50 due to its fantastic conditioning properties..

• belassi

December 17, 2018 at 1:57 am

Frankly I think you are trying to do too much with one product. You would be better off designing two different products. “First use package A, then use package B”. You cannot mix anionics with cationics except under very limited circumstances.

• microformulation

December 17, 2018 at 7:29 pm

Chemistry… These are the situations where Chem 101 come in handy.

• david

December 17, 2018 at 9:16 pm

Glyoxylic Acid (in combination with TMS) would be the primary suspect using the information given.
    Alternatively, find a driven salesperson, call it fizzy emulsion and you might get rich!

• gunther

December 19, 2018 at 4:10 pm

I think you can first react glyoxylic acid with an alkaline base like Sodium or Potassium hydroxide to make a glyoxylate salt. That should prevent it from reacting with BTMS.

It looks like glyoxylate salts retain their hair straightening activity.
    https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2015086230A1/en

• chemicalmatt

December 19, 2018 at 9:45 pm

More to the point, even before Gunther weighed in, I wondered how did you get around that Henkel patent? I am curious about that. Oh and yeah, drop the behenyl quat for sure. 

• Lisani

December 19, 2018 at 11:14 pm

Thanks everyone for the answers, I replaced the TMS with a non ionic emulsifier (there are many options) and the problem solved.
    thanks again ??

• gunther

December 20, 2018 at 1:53 am

More to the point, even before Gunther weighed in, I wondered how did you get around that Henkel patent? I am curious about that. Oh and yeah, drop the behenyl quat for sure. 

I actually wondered what’s so new about that patent?
    Hasn’t Sodium glyoxylate used before for hair straightening?

• chemicalmatt

December 20, 2018 at 5:10 pm

Negative, Gunther. Henkel did scoop other chemists on that function though. It was used in textiles before, just like the alkaline relaxers were before somebody got the notion to use on human keratin. Makes a good case for cross-pollination of industries and ideas.