Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Should I use less hyaluronic acid in my serum?

• Should I use less hyaluronic acid in my serum?

Posted by MJL on December 13, 2018 at 1:16 am

I currently make a very simple water-based serum with a few “actives” and with 1% high-molecular-weight hyaluronic acid.

However, I live in a dry climate and don’t really benefit from hyaluronic acid’s humectant qualities (even though I apply it to damp skin and add an occlusive on top).

Why do I use it, then? I like using the hyaluronic acid as a “gelling agent” because unfortunately I get irritation and acne in reaction to a lot of the gel-makers/formers and gums. I haven’t wanted to use something cheaper like glycerin because it is sticky and also apparently a substance that is irritating to my skin. 

Anyway, I have three questions:

1) Since hyaluronic acid can only bind to so much water, would using less in my formula mean that it would more-so hold onto the water I apply it over top of, and take less from inside my skin?

2) Does HA take up “available” or “free” water in a formula, that could be used to “hold” the other ingredients? In other words, would using less hyaluronic acid in my formula make more water “available” for the other ingredients (water-soluble powders) to be more thoroughly dissolved/held in? 

3) Would it be overall beneficial that I use less than my current 1% concentration of HMW HA in my formula?

Thank you for your time.

MJL replied 5 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.