Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Glass Cleaner

• Glass Cleaner

Posted by ravimosai on April 17, 2018 at 8:03 pm

This is my formualation for Floor Cleaner (Streak Free Shine). Please give your comments and suggestions. Also if you can help me to improve my making any changes do write. 

IPA: 5%
    Ethylene Glycol: 1%
    SLES: 1%
    CAPB: .5%
    Liquid Ammonia: 1%
    Acetic Acid: 6%
    EDTA:  0.01%
    Fragnance: QS
    Colur: QS
    Water: Blalance to 100

Please comment if it is okay to use liquid ammonia with Acetic Acid

levita replied 9 months, 3 weeks ago 5 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • ozgirl

April 19, 2018 at 1:35 am

You would not use ammonia and acetic acid in the same formula.

I think your surfactants might possibly be too foamy. Surfactant levels are usually very low in a window cleaner and are usually low foaming.

Do you mean Ethylene glycol monobutyl ether?

• ravimosai

April 19, 2018 at 7:35 am

ozgirl  thanks for your feedback. Other then surfactant, is the formulation alright? 

• oldperry

April 19, 2018 at 12:58 pm

@ravimosai - I agree with @ozgirl that you shouldn’t mix acetic acid and ammonia.  

But in general, your question is much too vague for anyone to give an answer. You provide much more information and ask a specific question that can be answered.  Tell us…

1.  Did you make this formula?
    2.  What were the results?
    3.  What aspect of the formula do you want to improve?
    4.  What is the formula doing that you don’t want it to do? or that you want it to do that it’s not doing?
    5.  What do you mean by “is the formulation alright”?

If you want help, just putting up a formula and saying “give comments on how to improve it” is not an efficient way to go about it.

• chemist77

April 19, 2018 at 1:36 pm

Remove the SLES & Betaine, add little APG and this will ensure no residue or streaking. Add a little PEG-12 Dimethicone as anti-fog and I generally use anti-foam in ppm to kill off any foam. As @ozgirl says use Dowanol ether like PnB or PnP at 1% or less. Add a chelant if you want, don’t forget fragrance and preservative, adjust the pH between 6-7 and you are good to go.

• ravimosai

April 19, 2018 at 4:15 pm

@Perr

1.  Did you make this formula? YES
    2.  What were the results?  At my home I have used glass cleaner made from this formula and the result was good. However I want to make for commercial pupose and nence wanted to know the changes required.
    3.  What aspect of the formula do you want to improve? Aceticliquid ammonia acide with 
    4.  What is the formula doing that you don’t want it to do? or that you want it to do that it’s not doing?
    5.  What do you mean by “is the formulation alright”? Is there changes required.

• ravimosai

April 19, 2018 at 4:20 pm

Chemist77 Thanks. What is APG?

• ravimosai

April 19, 2018 at 4:21 pm

@ozgirl  , yes it is Ethylene glycol monobutyl ether

• chemist77

April 20, 2018 at 4:01 am

Alkylpolyglucoside, non-ionic and which won’t leave a residue on glass surface unlike the charged SLES.

• ravimosai

April 20, 2018 at 8:17 am

Chemist77  How about Decyl Glucoside? @ 1% ,  2% EDTA (as chelating agent) , 2% Citirc acid (as chelating agent), Silicone oil defoamer and .5 % Ether Glycol, .5 % BHT

• chemist77

April 20, 2018 at 12:01 pm

Try it as there are trials to get the working formula. But your percentages look good. 

• ravimosai

April 20, 2018 at 12:09 pm

@ Chemist77 Is Decyl glycoside same as APG?

• ravimosai

April 20, 2018 at 12:20 pm

My new formulation for Glass Cleaner

IPA 5%

Decyl Gluciside 1%

Ether Glycol 0.5%
     EDTA 2% (chelating agent)

Citric Acid 2% (chelating agent)

Dimethicone 0.5% ( defoamer)

Acetic acid 5%

BHT 0.5% ( preservative)

Fragrance QS

Colour QS

Water balance to 100

• levita

June 7, 2023 at 7:55 am

How did this formulation work for you? Thanks!