Saccharide Isomerate

Hi guys, 

I'm thinking of formulating a skin care product using this material (Saccharide isomerate), however I couldn't find much information on this. One thing for sure that this is a humectant, and most formulation I found online use hyaluronic acid or glycerin as its humectant ingredient. 

Can you please share your experience using Saccharide isomerate and maybe advice on how to handle it, is it as easy as using ha or glycerin ?

Thank you :) 

Comments

• I have used this in the blend from DSM (Pentavitin) at 1% or less in formulations. In the blended form it is easy to use and I don't see any issues since it is at low levels. The suppliers max recommended use of the blend is 5%, and the supplier says about 50% of the blend is the isomerate.  If you have an account on UL prospector you'll be able to see formulations and the full datasheet
  • Yes, I have used it in a few formulations.  Consider it a Glycerin alternative to give your label something different and use it the same way you use Glycerin in moisturizers.
  • I have also used Pentavitin and it is very easy to use in aqueous formulations. It is quite different from glycerin or hyaluronate in physical properties - definitely easier to handle than dry hyaluronate. DSM claims it binds with free amino groups in keratin, so it doesn't wash away unlike other humectants.
  • EVchem said:
    I have used this in the blend from DSM (Pentavitin) at 1% or less in formulations. In the blended form it is easy to use and I don't see any issues since it is at low levels. The suppliers max recommended use of the blend is 5%, and the supplier says about 50% of the blend is the isomerate.  If you have an account on UL prospector you'll be able to see formulations and the full datasheet

Thank you for your input.

I'm thinking of using 2%, do you think it's too much ? I'm also using other humectant as well (butylene glycol and glycerin).
  • Yes, I have used it in a few formulations.  Consider it a Glycerin alternative to give your label something different and use it the same way you use Glycerin in moisturizers.

Thank you for your response.

May I know at what percentage you’re using this ingredient in your formulation ?

• I have also used Pentavitin and it is very easy to use in aqueous formulations. It is quite different from glycerin or hyaluronate in physical properties - definitely easier to handle than dry hyaluronate. DSM claims it binds with free amino groups in keratin, so it doesn't wash away unlike other humectants.

Thank you for your response.

May I know at what percentage you’re using this ingredient in your formulation ?

• edited November 8
    I’m planning to make an essence formulation, so far what I have in mind is this :

80. 5% Distilled Water 
    10% Aloe Vera Liquid
    1% Saccharide Isomerate
    2% Butylene Glycol
    2% Oat-Beta Glucan
    2% Sea Kelp Bioferment
    1% White Tea Extract
    0.5% Panthenol
    0.2% Sodium Gluconate
    0.8% Preservative (Optiphen+)

Am I missing something ? Does the percentage of each ingredient works fine (not irritating) ? Please help...I really need an input. 

Thank you very much. 
  • The easiest way to learn is to try and make that formula.
  • @Mrs_ditdut I normally incorporate it between 0.5% - 1.0% w/w in leave-on formulations.