Liquid laundry detergent problem

shaujaatshaujaat Member
edited October 2018 in Cosmetic Industry
Dear friends I have made a liquid laundry detergent which is working fine and with the required thickness but one difficulty is that after few days keeping in a bottle at normal room temperature a transparent liquid is floating above the solution surface. Can anybody help me regarding this what it could be, why it is decomposing I am mixing it well and giving time to each ingredient. I am using these materials....

Water 73.8%
Formaldehyde 0.2%
Urea 0.3%
Acid Slurry 8.7%
castic soda 1.3%
SLES 8.7%
Sodium Silicate 6.1%
TSP 0.3%
Tenopal  0.2%
Citric Acid 0.0%
Color 0.1%
Fragrance 0.2%
Salt 0.2%

Comments

• You need an emulsifier try polysorbate 60
  • FekherFekher Member, Professional Chemist
    @shaujaat actually formaldehyde is very toxic ingredient wich you should change to another preservative , even the level of use is too high must be 0,1 % as maximum reaching 0,05 %|.
  • Formaldehyde is banned as a preservative.
  • @Gunther @Fekher so can you suggest any inexpensive as formaldehyde alternate preservative, I tried potassium sorbate which is expensive one.
  • @beautybarrel is EDTA can do the work well ? which one is cost effective ? I have never tried Polysorbate 60
  • FekherFekher Member, Professional Chemist
    @shaujaat actually Cathon CG at 0,1% level can be good solution.
  • Thank you very much guys... 
  • Chemist77Chemist77 Member, PCF student
    I suggest Aqucar IG 50 as Kathon CG is comparatively expensive and more of use in personal care generally. But it is indeed a very good preservative, make sure your pH stays below 8 if you are using Kathon CG.
  • thank you 

• Gross :neutral: nothing happened 
  • @Belassi do you have any easy solution !
  • I think that for clear liquid detergent you should remove Sodium silica. it is very sightly solvent in water. it  & TSP are a stuff in powder detergent only
  • @khoikhoa may be you are right, I also feel that sodium silicate is the culprit but it has good cleaning ability how can exchange it ? 
  • @Belassi do you have any easy solution !
    --- Guys, what I know about formulating household products can be written on a postage stamp with a used lipstick.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • Chemist77Chemist77 Member, PCF student
    Liquid laundry detergent + Happi + Shoaib Airf and google
    read that and that will give you some good idea on liquid detergents.
  • @shaujaat I used Sles, las and nonionic as cleansing agent in liquid detergent
  • https://www.happi.com/contents/view_features/2012-04-02/formulating-liquid-laundry-detergents

IMO SLES is not needed or desirable as linear alkylbenzene sulfonate (neutralized LABSA) already makes enough foam on its own, and cleans better.
    I can only see SLES be helpful in a hand prespotter, for better flash foam.

And choose Potassium hydroxide instead of NaOH, it withstands cold temperatures better without clouding.