eyebrow/eyelash tint

Is eyebrow and lash tint FDA approved and or EU approved?  If not how do companies like Refectocil, Godfrey, 1000hr lash and Delia  sell this product legally without being pulled? 
Tagged:

Comments

• I'm not a regulatory expert (definitely can't speak to EU regulations), but dyes are cosmetics and don't need FDA approval  or registration. The colors used in the dyes do need batch certification (unless they are coal tar derived), and from what I see on the Refectocil website they are using approved colorants.
  • Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. very much appreciated.

• PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    The FDA does warn customers not to use these products because of safety issues.

https://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ProductsIngredients/Products/ucm137241.htm

The companies are taking a significant legal risk.
  • What about Eco-cert or the US NOP?
    Dr. Catherine Pratt
    (B.Sc with HONS I , Ph.D Analytical/Organic Chem and Microbiology), Cosmetic Chemistry IPCS)
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    I miss the direction of your question. Even under these standards, you must use appropriate and approved colors.

This speaks to the limitations of "Natural" or "Organic" dyes. They also must be approved as well. There are very few truly organic colorants which are approved.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.