how to achieve whiter Cocamide MEA flakes?

Hi, in a trial using RBD coconut oil and even fatty acid methyl ester (C12-18 & C1214) as the feedstock and 1:1 with MEA. Results turned out more yellowish to white. How can i achieve a more whiter end product? 

Comments

• PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    You could add a little Violet #2 to offset the yellow color.  But ultimately, the quality of the starting raw material will have the most impact on the yellowish color.
  • Perry said:
    You could add a little Violet #2 to offset the yellow color.  But ultimately, the quality of the starting raw material will have the most impact on the yellowish color.

Hi Perry, thanks for your comments. For CNO. We use max 1R for colour..i think is pretty much industry acceptance levels but still turns out yellowish..what other qualities of the starting materials should we take note on? 

What actually causes the yellowish? Is it the glycerol content if oil is being used as the starting material? If so using ME should by right eliminate this issue? 
  • Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    how fresh is the MEA you're using?
    in my experience it starts colourless, then turns yellow and eventually orange
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • Bill_Toge said:
    how fresh is the MEA you're using?
    in my experience it starts colourless, then turns yellow and eventually orange
    Bill, less than a year old..probs to be exact about 3-4 months old since it was delivered? Does the "age" matters? Thanks.