Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Advanced Questions how to achieve whiter Cocamide MEA flakes?

• oldperry

October 26, 2018 at 6:28 pm

You could add a little Violet #2 to offset the yellow color.  But ultimately, the quality of the starting raw material will have the most impact on the yellowish color.

• sendtoryan

October 27, 2018 at 4:18 am

Perry said:

You could add a little Violet #2 to offset the yellow color.  But ultimately, the quality of the starting raw material will have the most impact on the yellowish color.

Hi Perry, thanks for your comments. For CNO. We use max 1R for colour..i think is pretty much industry acceptance levels but still turns out yellowish..what other qualities of the starting materials should we take note on? 

What actually causes the yellowish? Is it the glycerol content if oil is being used as the starting material? If so using ME should by right eliminate this issue? 

• bill_toge

October 27, 2018 at 10:55 am
    how fresh is the MEA you’re using?
    in my experience it starts colourless, then turns yellow and eventually orange
  • sendtoryan

October 27, 2018 at 11:19 am

Bill_Toge said:

how fresh is the MEA you’re using?
    in my experience it starts colourless, then turns yellow and eventually orange

Bill, less than a year old..probs to be exact about 3-4 months old since it was delivered? Does the “age” matters? Thanks.