Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General surfactants and emulsifiers

• surfactants and emulsifiers

Posted by Anonymous on October 15, 2018 at 6:11 pm

I am working on a project that is a combination of oil and water, it contains about 14% oil.  In addition to that 20% is sodium chloride.  I am trying to get the mixture to first become a stable mixture while decreasing surface tension, (and here is where the problem comes in) and keep the viscosity very low (sprayable).  I am trying to stay as natural as possible also.  
    The biggest problem that I am having is with that much salt surfactant that I have tried just thickens up to the point of shampoo consistency.  
    Any ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  
    I have not done much chemistry since college but find myself with another business venture that requires some.

markbroussard replied 5 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • belassi

October 15, 2018 at 7:00 pm

Use a surfactant that is not liable to thicken with salt.

• chemicalmatt

October 17, 2018 at 4:46 pm

20% NaCl in a o/w emulsion? Stable? Low viscosity? Sprayable? - good luck with that.

• markbroussard

October 17, 2018 at 5:41 pm

@shevy1129

It sounds like you are trying to creating a sprayable emulsion that also includes a surfactant.

(1)   14% is a lot of oil to get into solution, you might consider dropping that down significantly.

(2)   20% NaCl … perhaps more like 2% … perhaps 20% is a typo

(3)   Use Sucrose Stearate as the emulsifier.  It will create a milky white emulsion that is water-thin.