Ingridient that can enhance detangling and softening in a conditioner formulated for kinky hair!!


I am in need of Ingridients that i can add to my conditioners especially leave in conditioner to enhance its softening and detangling properties...i am formulating for aftrican kinky and coily hair and its main problem is detangling and softening. I have used btms 50, centrimonium chloride but it dosnt do much even at its recommended %. Is there any other cationic surfactant or ingredient that can enhance detangling and most especially softening kinky hair..

Comments

  • Silicones.  Dimethicone or Cyclomethicone.
  • @Perry..thanks forbthe reply...do u mind stating in what % especially in leave in products. Then anything cationic that can also work?
  • edited October 2018
    For Cyclomethicone you could go up to 2%.  For Dimethicone it would be more like 0.5%

    Cocotrimonium Chloride at 0.25% could work too.
  • BTMS50 + silicone ranks among the top detanglers conditioners

    How much are you using @Marynicole
  • Check if any of the Polyquaterniums could be of use here. 
  • Perry said:
    For Cyclomethicone you could go up to 2%.  For Dimethicone it would be more like 0.5%

    Cocotrimonium Chloride at 0.25% could work too.
    Ok noted ...is cocotrimonium different from centrimonium chloride? 
  • Gunther said:
    BTMS50 + silicone ranks among the top detanglers conditioners

    How much are you using @Marynicole
    I use btms 50 3%, dimethicone 1% , i dont have cyclomethicone and polyquat readily available in my country...but i can look for it....can this ingridient soften the hair too?
  • Chemist77 said:
    Check if any of the Polyquaterniums could be of use here. 
    Which of the polyquat would u recommend thats good in conditioners please? I also need sumfin that can soften the hair...does cationic guar help out?
  • You should be getting enough conditioning/detangling out of 3% BTMS-50 + 1% dimethicone, especially since it is a leave on product.
    For how long do you leave it on?

    You can try adding polyquaternium 10 or 7, or cationic guar
    but IDK if they'll outperform BTMS+silicone.

    You may wish to switch to a milder shampoo, shampoo less often
    or switch to a cleansing conditioner, or washing your hair with conditioner (co-wash).
    Conditioners can only do so much if you have dry hair, and frequently shampoo.

    AFAIK there's no magic bullet but we'll see what the more experienced guys have to say.
  • Gunther said:
    You should be getting enough conditioning/detangling out of 3% BTMS-50 + 1% dimethicone, especially since it is a leave on product.
    For how long do you leave it on?

    You can try adding polyquaternium 10 or 7, or cationic guar
    but IDK if they'll outperform BTMS+silicone.

    You may wish to switch to a milder shampoo, shampoo less often
    or switch to a cleansing conditioner, or washing your hair with conditioner (co-wash).
    Conditioners can only do so much if you have dry hair, and frequently shampoo.

    AFAIK there's no magic bullet but we'll see what the more experienced guys have to say.
    Ok thank you so much....i will probably add one of the polyquat ...and see what ot will do bcs i am both keen on getting detangling n softening properties especially softening.
  • Since it's a leave on product, you can emulsify some coconut oil with BTMS it may help replenish some oils that are stripped away by shampoo.

    It that still doesn't work, switching to a milder shampoo, or shampooing less often seems unavoidable.
  • Hello there, I'm new here and this is rather a late comment coming in. I couldn't help but mention that I've come across a brassicamidopropyl dimethylamine cationic agent supposedly marketed as better than cetrimonium chloride. I don't know how well it actually works as I am just about to try it out. It may work for you?

  • edited January 12
    @Marynicole  i guess it  is from the best adequat polyquaternium for your product  called polyquaternium 87 ( luviquat sensation).


  • You could also try adding some Betaine to enhance moisturization of the hair and Sensoveil SIL (Orbignya Speciosa Kernel Oil (and) Hydrogenated Soybean Oil (and) Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil (and) Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Oil) from Chemyunion for detangling.
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

    Provides Formulation Development and Lab-Scale Contract Manufacturing Services.  See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com

  • edited January 13
    Hi, I would recommend to include Incroquat TMS-50 by Croda, a cationic emulsifier and active ingredient for softening requirements, it’s working very very good (personal experience).
Sign In or Register to comment.