Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General How to make it Foam, needing resources or info

• How to make it Foam, needing resources or info

Posted by Dustin on September 28, 2018 at 2:30 am

I currently have a unique, and successful formula for locking vivid color in hair and protecting from washout. 
    Its somewhat similar to “leave in” conditioner consistency, generally speaking.
    I am looking to adjust the formula to make it perform well with a foaming pump dispenser, and was hoping someone out there has had better luck finding a resource that covers this topic. Or if anyone here has intimate knowledge to share, I would be grateful.
    I am wondering about best viscosity and potential additional ingredients that facilitate foaming etc…

Thanks in advance 
    Dustin

Dustin replied 5 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • oldperry

September 28, 2018 at 12:50 pm

Make it thin like water and be sure to have a surfactant in the formula. Polysorbate 20 will probably help with foam.

But without a list of ingredients at least, there’s not much more advice anyone can give you.

• markbroussard

September 28, 2018 at 1:11 pm

Concur with Perry … to get good foaming action from a foaming pump, it will need to be water-thin.  I’ve used Decyl Glucoside on several foaming products with success.

• Dustin

October 1, 2018 at 4:09 am

Thanks guys! That was enough direction to write up plenty of test batch adjustments to test out. Much appreciated.