Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Preservatives in solid conditioner bars

Tagged: 

• Preservatives in solid conditioner bars

Posted by kiwigirl71 on September 25, 2018 at 7:31 pm

There’s a lot of conflicting information on the web regarding preservatives in solid conditioner bars.

From what I understand anhydrous products don’t really need preservatives, but conditioner bars come in contact with water and the surface of the bar after use will blend into a water/oil mixture. 

So so do they need preservatives or not? 

The formulation contains mostly fatty alcohols, about 10% oils, 10% glycerin, but also water soluble proteins. 

kiwigirl71 replied 5 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • oldperry

September 25, 2018 at 7:32 pm

When in doubt, use a preservative.

• kiwigirl71

September 25, 2018 at 7:47 pm

I will, but was wondering if there is actually a need for it. I’ll be using a mix of benzyl alcohol and dehydroacetic acid. 

• oldperry

September 25, 2018 at 7:53 pm

There’s not really a good answer to your question because it depends on your level of risk tolerance.

It’s just like asking “Do I need to wear a seatbelt when driving?”

There are plenty of times when you go driving and you don’t get into a car accident so the seatbelt was not really needed. But you should still wear one.

Similarly, you may be able to make your conditioner bar without a preservative and it lasts long enough without any problems.  But you should still use a preservative.

• chemicalmatt

September 26, 2018 at 3:06 pm

At such low water activity with 10% glycerin, your risk factor is extremely low.  Having said that, the wetted bar becomes a factor for mold growth (bacteria not so much). In the good ‘ol days 0.10% propylparaben in there would do the trick well. Put it in there and don’t tell anyone?

• kiwigirl71

October 7, 2018 at 12:58 am

Ah, I wish. I’m a blogger, so I can’t exactly not tell. But I did suspect it would be a very low risk. Thanks for the reply!