Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating what improvement you suggest for that shampoo

• what improvement you suggest for that shampoo

Posted by fekher on September 14, 2018 at 8:51 pm

Dionised Water: Qsp , SLES: 12%, CAPB : 8%, NaCl: 2,5% ,perfume : 0,3%, Citric Acid: 0,1 %
    olive oil: 0,1   ,%
    Cathon CG: 0,1%.
      i made it , so it seems not bad but for sure it can be more better.
     waiting @Perry @Chemist77 @Belassi  @Microformulation @Bobzchemist
    and others suggestions.

Thanks in adavance.

Max replied 5 years, 6 months ago 11 Members · 42 Replies
  • 42 Replies
  • dharmaraj

September 14, 2018 at 9:49 pm

@Fekher u can use sodium pca for moisturising. can also use panthaquat or miranol c2m from lubrizol which is good moisturiser.

• oldperry

September 14, 2018 at 10:05 pm

You have too much salt, over 2% is pretty high.

Your ratio of SLES and CAPB is off. Should be a 4:1 ratio (in terms of active level).

Olive oil is going to depress your foam a bit.

• fekher

September 14, 2018 at 10:24 pm

thanks @Perry yes i want also decrease slat quantity about ratio is their any refrence or just personnel choice.
    For olive oil it is litel quantity so it did not effect to foam.

• fekher

September 14, 2018 at 10:27 pm

Thanks @dharmaraj

• belassi

September 15, 2018 at 12:55 am

Olive oil encourages Malassezia yeast growth, get rid of it.
    I don’t rate SLES as a shampoo. I prefer ammonium salts.

• chemist77

September 15, 2018 at 4:11 am

I could throw in some Guar HPTC for conditioning, choice of surfactants is individual and very much cost dependent. But as @Perry said, certain ratios of surfactants can produce a good optimised product in probably less number of trials. 

• fekher

September 15, 2018 at 4:41 am

Thanks @Belassi wich is the best Amonnuim slat for shampoo according to your expertise witch i trust ?
    Thanks @Chemist77 so for conditioning and also increasing viscosity without NaCl will neutralized carbomer do well espacially for conditioning?

• chemist77

September 15, 2018 at 5:39 am

Carbomers are not conditioning agents, they are viscosity building polymers. Addition of guar only might give you a viscosity boost possibly but guar HPTC not so much. 

• fekher

September 15, 2018 at 6:17 am

@Chemist77 soo clear appriciate your help.

• belassi

September 15, 2018 at 2:53 pm

Thanks @Belassi wich is the best Amonnuim slat for shampoo according to your expertise witch i trust ?
    I use a commercial blend of ammonium lauryl sulphate and ammonium laureth sulphate.

• gunther

September 15, 2018 at 5:47 pm

@Fekher please tell us what do you want to improve

If it’s foam, you may:

1 further increase SLES content, which should require much less salt for thickening

2 You can also switch to a SLS+SLES combination (or ALS+ALES combo as @Belassi suggested, or a preblend)
    Just be careful that the added SLS/ALS doesn’t make it too drying or irritating
    https://www.happi.com/contents/view_features/2009-09-02/the-formulation-basics-for-personal-cleansers

If you want to improve its conditioning abilities

1 you may add some Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, or Stearamidopropyl dimethylamine
    https://chemistscorner.com/cosmeticsciencetalk/discussion/1475/formulating-with-stearamidopropyl-dimethylamine

2 And some silicones
    for ease of manufacturing, you may with to use a water dispersible silicone, since silicones are insoluble in water

• fekher

September 15, 2018 at 10:19 pm

soo helpfull @Gunther  actually foam and viscosity are good however just  using it for meduim period dry hear and i am sure that high quantity of NaCl is one from important cause of that .
     Thanks @Belassi for your answer.

• belassi

September 16, 2018 at 1:35 am

The blend I use has 80% solids which means less shipping cost when buying surfactant (my factor is 400Km distant). Patience is needed when diluting though, which is one of the reasons I’m using hot process. I spent several years experimenting with sodium salts and although the shampoos were “OK” , the results are so much better from the ammonium salts. More foam, better sensorials, nicer result on the hair. So without worrying about the basics of the shampoo overmuch - all I need to do is add CAPB - I can concentrate on making more exotic shampoos, such as Tea Tree Herbal, and Coffee. There is no point in my trying to compete with shampoos in the dollar store. A truly luxury and unique product will find a niche market at a high price.

• fekher

September 16, 2018 at 8:46 pm

@Belassi very interesting what you said

• fekher

September 16, 2018 at 9:04 pm

I tried to make shampoo free of NaCl , i used Carbomer , SLS, CAPB and Salicylic Acid  . when Salicylic acid added the viscosity decrease too much  .
    Actually the product has a good foam also the plus of Salicylic acid was clear with making smooth effect but the problem was viscosity so i think just i need to adjust ph to  have  a good viscosity so i did it with TEA but the bad surprise was even with neutralizing ph the viscosity stay too low.

• belassi

September 17, 2018 at 5:05 am

All CAPB contains NaCl so how could you possibly make a shampoo free of it?

• fekher

September 17, 2018 at 5:08 am

@Belassi free from added Nacl meant.

• fekher

September 18, 2018 at 2:10 pm

@Belassi @Chemist77 @Perry @Gunther and others, What about using ceteareth 25 as a thickner and conditioner  for shampoo. i make some research about it and i will try but i wanna some advice before starting.

• fekher

September 18, 2018 at 2:36 pm

@Gunther @belassi @Chemist77 @Perry i make some research and i find that salicylic acid can be a conditioner also so i will try some combinaisons wich contain salicylic acid , ceteareth 25 , carbomer , NaCl and basic ingredients of shampoo any suggests?

• belassi

September 18, 2018 at 2:44 pm

I have never seen ceteareth 25 in a shampoo LOI, what does that suggest? Carbomer is just b-b-b-bubbbbble hell. 

• ngarayeva001

September 18, 2018 at 2:53 pm

@Belassi that suggests that you didn’t do your research right 😉

• microformulation

September 18, 2018 at 3:08 pm

Ceteareth-25 would not be on my list for a shampoo product. I can think of a legion of other products that really would have conditioning and thickening properties?

• fekher

September 18, 2018 at 3:45 pm

@Belassi Carbomer is just bubble hell??? what that means , actually for shampoo theire are a lot of Lol contains Carbomer and TEA . 
    About ceteareth 25 me alsoo never seen in shampoo Lol, but engineer should be creative and creativity needs innovation and something never seen .However ceteareth 25 is no ionic tensioacatif like MEA , DEA , TEA so if we return to how we make shampoo is not strange to find non ionic tensioactif .
    Also Hair wax prove that it can be conditioner hair i just tried washing my hair after making my hair wax and the resultat was amaizing cleaning and lovely smooth effect.

• belassi

September 18, 2018 at 5:42 pm

Bubble hell = full of bubbles that cannot be removed unless of course you are a large manufacturer that can afford vacuum mixing machinery.

• microformulation

September 19, 2018 at 2:50 am
    “engineer should be creative?” That doesn’t change the Chemistry and is likely one of the statements most steeped in the Dunning-Kruger effect I have seen this quarter.
    If the Chemistry is wrong and the properties are not there it is not the correct choice. There are nearly hundreds of better raw materials. Hundreds.
    “chemist fit the square peg in round hole? Should be creative.”
Page 1 of 2