Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating phenoxyethanol and ethylhexylglycerine

• phenoxyethanol and ethylhexylglycerine

Posted by Anonymous on September 14, 2018 at 12:35 pm

Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum. I was just wondering what the shelf life of a home made lotion using only phenoxyethanol and ethylhexylglycerin as the sole preservative will be? I have started making my own lotions for personal use and dont want to breed any nasties. Its a pretty straigh foward recipe
     oils 18%,
     ewax 4%,
     water 72.5%,
     glycerin 2%,  
    vitamin e oil 0.5%
    preservative 1%
    essential oils and fragrance 1%
    silk and aloe vera 1%
    I would really appreciate your help, thank you 

microformulation replied 5 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • oldperry

September 14, 2018 at 1:22 pm

Without doing a microbial test, you can’t really know. It depends on how clean your ingredients were, your manufacturing conditions, your packaging, storage conditions, etc. But if it passes a preservative efficacy test, it could last up to a year.

• BCBull

September 14, 2018 at 4:22 pm

@nkem from my experience with this preservative usually it’s not enough.  Mikrokill COS works better as a stand-alone preservative.  You can strengthen your system by adding another preservative (like Glyceryl Caprylate for example) or change to parabens blend (best choice for my opinion if you don’t have to stick to “PF” claim)

• microformulation

September 14, 2018 at 4:53 pm

Always add a chelant as recommended by Schulke. When that is done and other aspects such as packaging and your cGMP are optimized, you should have no issue passing most PET with this combination.