shimmer spray suspension

working on a shimmer spray. My problem is over time the shimmer starts to fall.  I tried increasing the aqua SF-1 to 8% it but then its too thick for the inexpensive sprayers. It skeets out with force and not in a round pattern. What is a secondary stabilizer or thickener I could use. should I expect a pH of this?

Water -               40%
Aqua SF-1-          7.5%
glycerin -             2%
alcohol     -        45%
NaOH-                 0.4% 
phenoxyethanol -0.75%
The rest is shimmer, fragrance

Comments

• You can try to use XanthanGum-0.3-0.5%

Try to use - LAPONITE- Nano particles of synthetic hectorite, give you transparent Gels,

Or even try- Optigel.

Chief Chemist/ R&D Manager at SASA Cosmetics
  • @Stanley are you trying to copy a benchmark here?? I have been there but honestly had the same issues which you are facing now. Eventually I just gave up, even the customer  couldn't provide me with a benchmark. 
  • It looks like your polymer level is too low for proper suspending.
    https://www.stobec.com/DATA/PRODUIT/2175~v~data-sheet.pdf

The supplier recommends 8 - 10%. You could probably experiment with adding a small amount of salt to reduce the viscosity.
  • @Perry here the issue is change in spray pattern from the nozzle. Because of the cohesive property of this polymer, the spray properties are absolutely undesirable.
  • I recently discovered that gellan gum produces high yield but low viscosity, you might try that.
    Design of anti-aging creams, gels, and serums; shampoos; and therapeutic cosmetics. In-house label and box design capability.
  • edited September 13
    This is a similiar issue I am having.   I like the idea of trying salt to reduce the viscosity.  

• what percentage of salt should I try --0.5%

• I have knocked off this entire product and it was easier than you may believe. I can't of course share a Formula, but the INCI is "Alcohol SD40B, Water, Fragrance, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Aminomethyl Propanolol, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Silica,  Blue 1 (CI 42090), Ext. Violet 2 (CI 60730), Yellow 6 (CI 15985), Mica, Titanium Oxide."

Abandon going "natural." Research the INCI names and you should able to see what each ingredient does and with a study, reverse engineer it yourself. I am trained, but I recall the entire formulation process took me less than 10 hours to complete from start to finish with testing. It is surprisingly easy.

markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications.
  • How long should shimmer be expected to stay suspended?  Should a better sprayer be used to keep the fine mist of the spray?
  • edited September 13
    @Microformulation ; that is cool!!! 
    Instead of using the Aqua SF-1 I was going to use Ultrez 20 and neutralize with NaOH. 

I am assuming you are using more alcohol to avoid using a preservative?

Do you mind me asking what is you final pH range?   

When the packaging from BBW says "diamond dust"  what exactly is that?  I understand a mica or glitter but is that indicative of a particle size that won't clog the sprayer?
  • No, I used that much alcohol since it was going to be used as the base of a fragrance. The initial standard was a Victoria standard fragranced shimmer spray.

Why did I use the other materials? I won't tell you simply because you will gain more reading up yourself.

The final pH range was about 5.0

I would never use alcohol as a primary preservative unless there was an over-riding reason, usually being solubility of some material or the presence of alcohol due to another ingredient.

Research the materials. As I said, this was an easy project to find documentation and starting formulations.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications.
  • @Microformulation Thank you so much!  I have learned alot from already..I assume it the "finer details" that I am looking for that come from experience that I am curious about.  I have looked up the chems.

The reason why I asked the question about alcohol is I was told that if you have less than 30% water the need for a preservative is minimal.  I am sure there may be different schools of thought on this...that is why i asked. :)

It wouldn't hurt if my pH was a little higher than 5?

• Ok folks up!!!  I used Ultrez20 and a little tweak here and there and it came out really cool.  I did put it in the 55C oven last night and it did not suspend the glitter.  I am going to do the 40C overn over the weekend.  But over all I am very happy with the results.  What is the expectation on suspending the mica?