Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating preserving work environment

• belassi

September 7, 2018 at 4:00 pm

Ah this is an easy one. It’s a bit like my recipe for table candles: you pour wax on the table and set it on fire. Here though, you simply spray the corners with pure ethyl alcohol and set them on fire.
    No, seriously, good hygiene is a matter of good surfaces. If the lab floor and walls are tiled with porcelain tiles, then it’s easy. Any good disinfectant will do the job.
    If you do end up with mushrooms in the corners, check them out and if they are red with white spots, send them to me.

• sven

September 7, 2018 at 6:29 pm

:D :D :D :D  

• mikethair

September 8, 2018 at 10:05 am
    Our GMP certified production facility is located in a very humid environment. We have never had any issues with bacteria and fungi. The reasons are simple.  Smooth surfaces (walls and floors) with good quality painted surfaces. We use epoxy paint on the floor.  Regular cleaning, and a VERY strict hygiene and gowning up regime. We do not use disinfectants on the floors and walls.
    We do not use tiled surfaces. In my humble opinion they invite bacteria and fungi because of the gaps, and are difficult to keep clean.

• microformulation

September 8, 2018 at 12:18 pm
    @mikethair touches on the fact that this issue is considered when designing a manufacturing plant. Smooth sealed walls, etc. These are issues that the FDA has listed in their cGMP List for small manufacturers.
    Ultimately this is why I will not work with lines who want to manufacture out of the “home.” It is problematic to control all these factors in this setting. For example, I agree 100% with @m@mikethair that tile surfaces should be avoided. Avoid porous surfaces. Never share food prep areas with manufacturing areas.