Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Please help, water based hair clay/paste

• Please help, water based hair clay/paste

Posted by BeardlyGentlemen on September 6, 2018 at 5:37 am

Hello, i get a little problem, i make own hair clay:
    Formula:
    Beeswax - 15%
    Emulsion wax - 10%
    Stearin acid - 4%
    Water - 52%
    Shea butter - 2%
    Mango butter - 3%
    Avicado oil - 2%
    Grape seed oil - 2%
    Carnaub/Candelil/Avocado wax - 5%
    Kaolin - 2%
    Madagascar clay - 1%
    Blue clay - 1%
    Preservative (optiphe plus) - 1%
    Essential oils - 10-14 drops

And recept like first make a hair paste:
    Beeswax - 15%
    Emulsion wax - 10%
    Stearin acid - 4%
    Water - 52%
    Shea butter - 2%
    Mango butter - 3%
    Avicado oil - 2%
    Grape seed oil - 2%
    Carnaub/Candelil/Avocado wax - 6%
    Kaolin - 3%
    Preservative (optiphen plus) - 1%
    Essential oils - 10-14 drops

but I can not understand one thing from where and there takes the condensate on the lid of the jar in which the product is then stored. consistency excellent, creamy, easy to apply, well fixes. but the condensate, I do not know what that could mean. I already left the product open for complete drying for 12-18 hours. the result of this did not change. Help please, I will be glad to any help.

BeardlyGentlemen replied 5 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • BeardlyGentlemen

September 8, 2018 at 11:58 am

Up, someone help, dont know what to do with it.

• microformulation

September 8, 2018 at 12:13 pm

What is your manufacturing process? What temp are you pouring at? What is the measured humidity in your manufacturing area?

• BeardlyGentlemen

September 8, 2018 at 2:56 pm

I separately heated waxes, with oils and acid, to 180-190 ° f in a separate vessel I heat up to the same temperature even slightly more than 190-195 ° f, pour water into the melted wax with oils and acid, mix thoroughly with a blender for several minutes, for km I wait for cooling to 150-160 ° f and add preservative and essential oils, after which I mix a couple of more minutes, then I pour on the jars. The humidity of the room can not verify there is no possibility. until it is specially equipped, say a stove and a couple of atolls, but the humidity should not be high. Thank you for the answer, I really hope for some sort of help. if I do not understand, I’m sorry, I’m using an interpreter.

• microformulation

September 8, 2018 at 5:33 pm
    First, the measurement of temperature in GOOD Science is Celcius. Honestly, even as an American, when it comes to Formulating, I can not think in F.
    “The humidity should not be high.” Yes, but have you measured it? Should and actual testing are different standards. One is correct. I will let you decide which.
    You may be seeing some condensate from the headspace cooling due to humidity.
    Again, without a failed sample, it is all guessing.

• BeardlyGentlemen

September 8, 2018 at 6:36 pm
    I think the problem is not in the humidity of the room, since I have a sample made more than a month ago, he visited me in different rooms, and he still accumulates condensate on the can lids, I use aluminum containers. Regarding the temperature in celsius it will be: wax with oil and acid 82-87, water heat 87-89.
    The very consistency of the product is good on the product itself, there is no condensate, it only gathers on the lid. Is this possible from non-quality components? Or is it a mistake of the technology of cooking itself, or perhaps it should be allowed to cool before bottling into a jar? Thank you in advance.
  • BeardlyGentlemen

September 8, 2018 at 6:45 pm

Is my formulation are right?

• microformulation

September 8, 2018 at 10:31 pm
    @BeardlyGentlemen You would have to ask whoever does the lab work. On paper I don’t see any glaring issues. I avoid these products since there is always a gap in performance between “natural” and mainstream products. Everything looks ok for a standard Clay Paste.
    Are you weighing your materials? No Formula should ever use drops in the measurements. Drops are not within the acceptable range of accuracy.
    “I think the problem is not in the humidity of the room, since I have a sample made more than a month ago, he visited me in different rooms, and he still accumulates condensate on the can lids.”
    It is not the humidity in the rooms that it is used that is an issue. It is the manufacturing process. It is the humidity/temperature of manufacturing that would be causing this issue. 

• belassi

September 9, 2018 at 12:59 am

For heaven’s sake why are we having this discussion? It’s 52% water, how could it NOT condense on the inside of the lid?

• microformulation

September 9, 2018 at 3:39 am
    @Belassi Thank you!!!! I do recall this being an issue in a particular job. We fixed it by monitoring and reducing the RH as well as pouring at a proper temperature.
  • BeardlyGentlemen

September 9, 2018 at 9:00 am

Microformulation , Belassi so like i understand problem in water percents? I need give more or less water, i new in it. Plaese say what i can change to get a good product. Thank you.

• BeardlyGentlemen

September 9, 2018 at 11:06 am

Or you can advise an alternative formula of paste and clay, and describe the production process, I’m in this direction novice, but really want to learn and make great products. Thank you very much in advance.

• belassi

September 9, 2018 at 2:59 pm

This is not my area. If this is a metal lid then what’s happening is quite simply relative temperature changes leading to condensation. Plastic doesn’t cause so much trouble as its specific heat is a lot smaller as is its thermal conductivity.

• microformulation

September 9, 2018 at 10:24 pm

At a certain point, you may need a Chemist. “Can advise an alternative formula of paste and clay, and describe the production process” is a bit much as that is what many of us do for a living. You will get some advice, but it is doubtful you will get a formula and manufacturing instructions. Teach a man to fish and all that…

• BeardlyGentlemen

September 11, 2018 at 8:14 am

Microformulation So i and ask you advice, what wrong in my formulation? Water percent? 

• microformulation

September 11, 2018 at 12:30 pm
    That question would require lab work on my part to really answer, but I really believe that all the previous posters have pinned it down. You are getting water to condense due to pouring temps and using tin packaging. This is maybe a point where you would consider calling in a trained Chemist as a Consultant.
    Here is what is really a bigger issue than the condensate and that is the relative simplicity and commonness of the Formula. I would wager I could pull down a similar product off one of many sites. So, as the consumer, why should I purchase this Formula? No offense, but several months ago I attended a presentation by a prominent Cosmetic Marketer. I am a Formulator, but it helps to get the opinion of an expert. She said (amongst many other things) that a product like this which is likely available at numerous Farmers Markets and Craft Shows, it would be difficult to differentiate yourself from the rest of the market.
    So, again, no offense, but let me pose a challenging question? Why would we buy this product? I submit that the Formula is pretty common and will fail if compared to the mainstream products. The fact that it is “natural” has a difficult time overcoming the compromise in performance. You need a good story and you also may want to explore finding ways to differentiate the product in the Marketplace.
    Again, no offense. I have done about 5 similar products that were marketed in the “natural” markets. The compromise in performance over an elegant product using synthetics is difficult to overcome. Remember, years ago we had products that were less effective and as Chemistry evolved, we replaced these less effective products with synthetic products and they became more popular. Reverting to “natural” essentially eliminates these advanced materials. Your Marketing will need to overcome this hurdle.
  • BeardlyGentlemen

September 12, 2018 at 8:34 am

Microformulation Thank you for your answer, you made me think, maybe I should and leave the natural product, but it would not be unacceptable to do so since the rest of our products are positioned as natural cosmetics, there is one big problem in my country is very little information, I hardly found then what I have now. As far as I understand, you are developing formulas on a professional level, I understand it correctly? You can tell me in private messages the prices for your services. Thank you.