Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Nanotechnology in skincare?

• Nanotechnology in skincare?

Posted by ngarayeva001 on September 4, 2018 at 2:27 pm

Hello All,

I recently found this product https://sabrina-beauty.com/the-science/
    with a pretty generic ingredients list (except for misspelling “tocopheryl
    acetat”). The manufacturer is making really bold claims about using “nano-size
    collagen” that “penetrates” through stratum corneum and “rebuilds lost collagen”.
    I am staying more than sceptical, but very curious about the opinion of the
    professionals on this forum. What are your thoughts on ingredients like this “nano”
    collagen and ultra-low molecular weight hyaluronic acid? I understand that skin
    is a natural barrier and this product won’t restore lost collagen, but is it
    worth it to pay more for ingredients with lower molecular weight?

Thanks in advance!

ngarayeva001 replied 5 years, 6 months ago 14 Members · 38 Replies
  • 38 Replies
  • belassi

September 4, 2018 at 2:42 pm

our scientist travels to specific regions of the world to find and carefully select nutrient rich, organic ingredients that were grown in a bountiful, fertile environment
    Yes, the local supermarket.

• ngarayeva001

September 4, 2018 at 3:04 pm

@Belassi, if they said “you can find all of these unique ingredients including apple stem cells on lotioncrafter” how would they justify the price tag? :smiley:

• doreen

September 4, 2018 at 3:35 pm
    @ngarayeva001
    skin is a natural barrier and this product won’t restore lost collagen

I think this is your answer.

I’d say hyaluronic acid of any weight is not worth the high price if used in cosmetic products, but this is only my personal opinion.

• ngarayeva001

September 4, 2018 at 4:34 pm

@Doreen regarding hyaluronic acid, it’s not exactly the case, because HML forms a gel,which is very useful in formulating serums. However there are 5 or 6 “low molecular weight” powders available (usually the lower weight, the more expensive it is). So I am curious is there any good reason (I am not talking about penetrating the skin marketing claims) to buy “the lowest” weight or not.

• markbroussard

September 5, 2018 at 6:06 pm

Yes, Super Low Molecular Weight HA will penetrate the dermis and provide superior moisturization and it’s a component of the skin’s Natural Moisturizing Factor.  Higher weight HA forms a film on the surface of the skin to help reduce TEWL.

• microformulation

September 5, 2018 at 6:53 pm
    As @MarkBroussard pointed out, the lower molecular weight forms will penetrate slightly more. They do cost more and keep in mind that unlike the standard Regular Molecular weight, they contribute less to the thickening of the product.
    All this is NOT nanotechnology though.
  • Sibech

September 5, 2018 at 8:49 pm

@Microformulation correctly pointed out that it is not nanotechnology. The key thing to keep in mind for nanotechnology is particle size (definitions differ from in between locations and regulations the EU defines nano materials, as used in cosmetics, as an insoluble or biopersistant and intentionally manufactured material with one or more external dimensions, or an internal structure, on the scale from 1 to 100 nm).

@ngarayeva001 You have already recieved great answers and this contribute nothing to formulation or dermal efficacy.

I would increase the scepticism. I just looked at their “Reviews” where you have to input a name - yet all reviewers decided to go with a full name some including middle names or abbreviations - in addition, all 39 are 5 stars, seems off to me.

So under “The Science” they also have a “Study” (I am using my quotation-quota too fast in this reply) which, not only is not a study but a high school report on the skin - it also blatantly plagiarise from textbooks (Took a random paragraph from page 12 and googled it, the exact paragraph is from Encyclopedia of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering, Second Edition, which by the way does not even feature on the reference list).

As a non-american, what kind of false advertising on cosmetics can be reported to the FTC? Because in my humble opinion the appear out of line in regard to honesty/truthfullness (even within cosmetics).

• microformulation

September 5, 2018 at 9:10 pm
    “I would increase the skepticism. I just looked at their “Reviews” where you have to input a name - yet all reviewers decided to go with a full name some including middle names or abbreviations - in addition, all 39 are 5 stars, seems off to me.”

This is a great observation by @Sibech, that being to be wary of reviews. I have personally sat through a meeting where the Marketing people were openly challenging the staff to get all their Facebook friends to put-up positive reviews. I see these clusters of reviews all the time. Similar names and close dates. Not a single negative review.
    So when a client pushes a bad product with the statement, “It gets great reviews”, I am hardly impressed.
    Lastly, I agree. If you want to practice Cosmetic Science, it helps to act and research like a Scientist.
    WOW! I just went back and read the “Science.” They state, ” Collagen Rx Plus uses Nano Technology to shrink the Collagen Molecule so it can easily be absorbed into the skin.”
    Honey, I shrunk the Collagen!

• dr-catherine-pratt

September 5, 2018 at 9:33 pm
    It’s all about particle size! I am formulating sunscreens right now. You can have really low concentrations of zinc oxide, as the common public like yourself do not like to see high levels of zinc, but all it means is that they are using differing particle sizes along with synthetic boosters.
    If this company freely admits they are using the nano-technology to penetrate the epidermis then that is perfectly fine, they are doing it for a reason!!
    Why don’t you tell us what the particle size is and maybe we can give you some more information!
  • ngarayeva001

September 5, 2018 at 9:34 pm

I was actually thinking about the list (how to assess if the source is legit) that @Microformulation gave me in one of the comments when reading that ‘study’. I couldn’t stop smiling ?

• ngarayeva001

September 5, 2018 at 9:35 pm

Btw I couldn’t find size of that nano collagen in that study.

• doreen

September 5, 2018 at 9:36 pm

@ngarayeva001
    I prefer cheaper alternatives for both gel formers as TEWL reducers. 
    But I’m a homecrafter, I can imagine the difference for the cosmetic scientists who are formulating professionaly.

• microformulation

September 5, 2018 at 9:59 pm
    Do we really believe that they are “using nano-technology to penetrate the epidermis” by “shrinking the collagen molecule?”
    I have done many sunscreens also and in the case of Zinc oxide, we are arguably dealing with nano-particles with some products but not in this case.
  • ngarayeva001

September 5, 2018 at 10:00 pm

I am still learning, so like trying new ingredients. I always keep HMW (because it forms gel) and SLMW (as a humectant) hyaluronic acid in my stock. I recently overpaid for ULMW (ultra low, 5000 daltons) and saw this ‘nano’ product next day after I tried ULMW it and noticed no difference. Will be calling my serum an ultra serum now :)

• Max

September 5, 2018 at 10:53 pm

Hello might sound stupid but, if you buy the HMW, blend is dry for 10-20-30min…. you will get you LMW no? just need a lab to give you the MW distribution I would think (GPC)…  this does not answer your question but could be a cheap alternative to so called nano product

• ozgirl

September 5, 2018 at 11:30 pm
    The third ingredient in their ingredients list is “Advance Moisture Complex” which is definitely not correct the INCI listing.
    Incorrect ingredients listing is always a red flag for me.
  • markbroussard

September 5, 2018 at 11:42 pm

So are money-back guarantees and monthly fulfillment plans … This is typical sales/marketing model used on the Internet mostly by companies that have only one product … and they are generally less than credible.

File a Trademark for “Advanced Moisture Complex” and never identify it anywhere in your marketing except on the package label so one can only determine the actual ingredients by purchasing the product.

• ngarayeva001

September 6, 2018 at 8:17 am

I just wonder if people actually return it or not. Because it is very clear for me that this product won’t do much. Also, has anyone ever seen tocopheryl acetate as a second ingredient?

• doreen

September 6, 2018 at 9:00 am
    @ngarayeva001
    I just wonder if people actually return it or not. Because it is very clear for me that this product won’t do much.

I also wonder. But the placebo effect must be high and a lot of people are willing to believe pseudo science bullcrap. Google ‘La Mer’ cream and look up the ingredients and the prices. They have so many customers and get so much positive reviews, it’s almost unbelievable.

• ngarayeva001

September 6, 2018 at 11:07 am

@Doreen, I am very well familiar with La Mer. I repurchased it several times before I got into formulating :smiley: it has an excessively long list of ingredients that made me, at that point, believe that it must be something backed by science. However the trick with all of those expensive products (La Mer, Sublimage by Chanel, Skin Caviar by La Prairie, SK-II etc.) is that they offer very pleasant application properties and “luxurious” feel. They achieve it mostly due to addition of polymers and right combination of surfactants, thickeners and emollients. Regarding this particular product, they claim to be “natural” and use a conventional combination (cetearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, ceteareth-20, xantham, etc.) that doesn’t provide this “luxurious” feel. That is why I am so curious why people don’t just return it.

• ngarayeva001

September 6, 2018 at 11:10 am

Also, not sure about this “nano-collagen” but regular hydrolised collagen protein makes formula rather sticky, which doesn’t add anything good to the application.

• dtdang

September 6, 2018 at 6:18 pm

@ngarayeva001, If it is sticky. Add “dry flow” (comercial name) or arrow root powder. The sticky will be gone even the oily. I tried dry flow but not arrow root powder.
    Is nano technology is also called nanosomes? I am looking for multivitamin A, C and E nanosomes. But, can not find in google. 

• dtdang

September 6, 2018 at 6:23 pm

@ngarayeva001 dry-flow making cosmetic called “Tapioca Starch” 

• ngarayeva001

September 6, 2018 at 8:06 pm

@Dtdang I believe you are looking for slow release retinol ‘liposomes’. If so, makingcosmetics sell them. I have not heard about vitamin C or E liposomes. https://www.makingcosmetics.com/Vitamin-A-Liposomes-retinol_p_1222.html

• dtdang

September 8, 2018 at 12:13 am

Thanks 

Page 1 of 2