Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Innovation How do I extract potential nutrients from seaweed and algae?

• How do I extract potential nutrients from seaweed and algae?

Posted by chhavi on August 9, 2018 at 10:41 am

So, I have been formulating for a moisturizer and I want to add some algae extract. 
    But, i need the pointers for it, like, how to extract certain proteins from them, how to add them etc. 
    Is there someone working on similar topic who can help me?

oldperry replied 5 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • das

August 9, 2018 at 11:14 am

You don’t. Leave that to large companies that actually know what they are doing and buy the stable, tested and reliable raw material.

• belassi

August 9, 2018 at 3:24 pm

More to the point is how you will keep the finished product stable.

• gunther

August 9, 2018 at 5:10 pm

First, see if it actually works and does something noticeable.

Then you can try cold extraction, boiling it and filtering
    and extraction with alcohol (cold extraction, since alcohol is flammable).

• microformulation

August 9, 2018 at 8:07 pm

@Gunther Then you still have a nonstandardized extract still, albeit a better extracted one. It doesn’t address the need for accuracy and batch-to-batch consistency.

• chhavi

August 10, 2018 at 1:09 pm

@DAS I know how to get the raw material ready. I have the biomass and all, the problematic part is stabilization yes (as @Belassi mentioned) but that would be on a later stage. I have the biomass, what I need is a way to extract proteins from it. I can carry out zonal chromatography etc but I just wanted to know if anyone here has tried it. 
    @Gunther, according to recent researches, algae and seaweed extract work in moisturizers ad for anti-aging. And thank you for suggesting cold extraction, will surely try it. 

• oldperry

August 15, 2018 at 2:55 am

There’s a long way from some positive results in lab studies of an ingredient to actually seeing any benefits in a formula. In the vast majority of cases, lab results can’t be replicated in real life.

Better to leave to professionals of course. But my opinion is that the only thing that matters in your extraction process is that you do it in a consistent way. No matter how you do it, it’s unlikely you’ll see much effect in your final formula.  But it’s worth proving that for yourself