Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Ethyl Alcohol (Ethanol) Can I use in makeup.

• Ethyl Alcohol (Ethanol) Can I use in makeup.

Posted by Mynkcosmo on July 27, 2018 at 6:23 pm

I have done some research on this type of Alcohol and want to know is it safe to use in a formula for blushes. I use jojoba oil, coconut oil to mix all ingredients together so wanted some wet ingredient to help mix together and because the internet gives mixed information about using Ethanol I wanted to get all your opinions. Now if it’s safe to use where can I buy 95% .

Mynkcosmo replied 5 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • EVchem

July 27, 2018 at 6:36 pm

What percent are you planning on using? If you’re using if to mix blush are you going to try and evaporate the ethanol off?

Is it safe? you could slap  a high proof vodka on your skin as a test.

• gunther

July 27, 2018 at 6:57 pm

Sure
    you can use alcohol if you want, especially if that’s going to evaporate later.
    Lots of body splash formulas contain alcohol.

OTOH be aware that vegetable oils ain’t that soluble in ethyl alcohol (a bit more soluble in isopropyl alcohol, but it smells )
    So if you’re sticking to a proven formula, it may work fine.

You can buy 95% alcohol in chemical supply retailers.
    At worse you’d be asked to show your ID. No big deal.

• Mynkcosmo

July 27, 2018 at 7:58 pm

@Gunther you mean regular rubbinh alcohol? Is that safe for the face . WontWothat eventually dry the skin out even though it evaporates ?  And what do u mean body splash? What if I mix the oils and ethyl alcohol together first before I mix in the dry ingredients? Would that make it a lil more soluble?

• arachne013

July 27, 2018 at 7:58 pm

From what I understand, 100% ethanol is grain alcohol (which you can purchase at some liquor stores), and with isopropoyl, (unless used in a spray or some other liquid product) the smell goes away after evaporation

• Mynkcosmo

July 27, 2018 at 8:02 pm

@Gunther I want more of a cream like powder as the finish of the blush so that’s y I wanted to use jojoba oil and coconut oil. 

• Mynkcosmo

July 27, 2018 at 8:06 pm

@arachne013 yeah I was also reading that but it’s so mixed opinions on line on that ethyl alcohol but if it’s safe to use then I can’t fight it. I don’t want to confused myself anymore because I need to start selling my product. I don’t want to use Phenoxyethanol anymore because it’s a slippery slope with that ingredient and I want all natural ingredients but then I want something in the formula to be a preservative to have a long shelf life 

• gunther

July 28, 2018 at 3:49 am

@Mynkcosmo will you use an emulsifier?
    Because if you do, you may not need any alcohol.

• Mynkcosmo

July 28, 2018 at 5:58 am

No emulsifier @Gunther 

• Mynkcosmo

July 28, 2018 at 6:21 am

But if I was using emulsifier Which is a good one to use to mix everything together and make it creamy like powder form blush @Gunther

• ChemicalPyros

July 31, 2018 at 1:48 pm

I would not recommend using alcohol in formulations for the face. its vapor can irritate the eyes immediately. You can use a wax (natural obviously) to bind your oils and obtain an anhydrous formula where you won’t be needing any preservatives.

• Mynkcosmo

August 3, 2018 at 4:07 am

That’s what I was thinking. What type of wax would u recommend so I don’t use water and a perservative?

• ChemicalPyros

August 3, 2018 at 4:55 am

Many waxes exist on the market, it is better to start with what is available readily. For your case I would recommend a wax such as beeswax, with some butter (shea, mango, cocoa, …), and the oils you wish to incorporate.

You should keep in mind several points:

• The melting point, you would not want it to melt easily in warm weather or become rock solid in cold weather.
    • The “Sweating”, this has to do with the compatibility between the oils, butters and waxes. the “Sweating” appears usually in a Freeze/Thaw cycle.
  • Mynkcosmo

August 4, 2018 at 7:04 am

Oo yes I have seen all that. Okay I’ll look into that thank you so much! @ChemicalPyros