Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Thickening glucosides

• Thickening glucosides

Posted by chemist1 on June 22, 2018 at 6:29 pm

Does anyone have any ideas on thickening surfactant systems containing alkyl polygluscosides as the primary surfactant?

markbroussard replied 5 years, 9 months ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • belassi

June 22, 2018 at 8:55 pm

Depends how much you want to spend.

• gunther

June 23, 2018 at 1:56 pm

@Belassi would you mind enlightening us with a quick review of the thickening options available, please?

• belassi

June 23, 2018 at 2:29 pm

Well, at the cheap end you’ve got gums, which generally need predispersing and can be used in cold process. Then there’s things like PEG-150 distearate or MEA which are hot process. At the expensive end of the market there are other thickeners such as Glucamate LT or VLT which can be cold process. The cheap ones have limitations.

• gunther

June 24, 2018 at 5:47 pm

Have you tried Oxiteno products?

They’re supposed to be widely available in Mexico and inexpensive. I believe they even have a factory there.

Oxiteno’ Alkont EL 3645 worked fine for me for thickening low sulfate + glucosides formulations.

• belassi

June 24, 2018 at 6:24 pm

Thank you Gunther for that very interesting piece of information. I had not heard of them.

• belassi

June 24, 2018 at 6:30 pm

In fact they have a distributor in my city! :)

• markbroussard

June 25, 2018 at 8:31 pm

@chemist1

The Glucosides are notoriously difficult to thicken … they seem to not respond to anything other than Gums.  But, if you throw in some Sodium Cocoyl Methyl Taurate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate and Antil HS 60 (Cocamidopropyl Betaine + Glyceryl Laurate) you can get some decent viscosity out of a Glucosides formula.

• sven

June 25, 2018 at 8:43 pm

@MarkBroussard would 5:5:20 surfactant mix work with HS60 being 20?

• markbroussard

June 27, 2018 at 10:28 am

No, that’s on the heavy side on the HS60 … you would only need to add that at 4% to 5%.  Sodium Cocoamphoacetate @ 6%, Sodium Cocoyl Methyl Taurate 10% and the remained Glucosides