Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General INCI Names

• INCI Names

Posted by Anonymous on June 12, 2018 at 11:47 pm

Hi, 

I’m interested in knowing if the chemical names in the INCI directory are connected to specific chemical structures/CAS number, and if there is some resource for this available online. 

I’m curious about this because I found that cosmetic peptides are completely arbitrarily named, with a prefix denoting the length and an arbitrary number at the end. Is cosmetic peptide production mainly limited to a few suppliers who keep it consistent? If not, what’s stopping company A from putting any old peptide into their formulation and calling it “tripeptide-1”? 

Thank you! 

Anonymous replied 5 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • das

June 13, 2018 at 12:13 am

Yes, the INCI rely on IUPAC, and are made by the PCPC. 

You will find more info here:

https://www.cir-safety.org/

https://iupac.org/

• oldperry

June 13, 2018 at 3:55 am

All names for cosmetic ingredients are assigned in the INCI dictionary. You can’t arbitrarily make up a name.  However, the INCI doesn’t always follow the IUPAC system. There are some different stem names for hydrocarbons & for other ingredients it’s not possible to determine molecular structure from the name. Polyquaternium 7 says virtually nothing about its structure.

• Anonymous

June 13, 2018 at 4:56 pm

Thank you DAS and Perry for the quick response. 

Yes, I understand the difference between the IUPAC and INCI naming systems. But does every chemical in the INCI directory have a corresponding IUPAC name, and if so, is the full INCI directory the only resource that has it? 

I bring this up because it is well understood that glycerin = glycerol, but I can’t find much information on what “oligopeptide-1” is. The information I find tells me “it is an effective skin conditioning ingredient” but no information on its chemical structure. 

• david

June 13, 2018 at 5:49 pm

The oligopeptide-1 is a 55 amino acid long peptide with Mw 6500. It would get a quite long IUPAC name - that’s probably why you can’t find it…

• david

June 13, 2018 at 5:51 pm

here is oligopeptide-10  a shorter peptide- enjoy 🙂

(2S)-6-amino-N-[(2S)-1-[[(2S)-1-[[(2S)-6-amino-1-[[(2S)-1-[[(2S)-1-[[(2S)-1-[[(2S)-6-amino-1-[[(2S)-1-[[(2S)-1-[[(2S)-6-amino-1-[[(2S)-1-[[(2S)-1-amino-4-methyl-1-oxopentan-2-yl]amino]-1-oxopropan-2-yl]amino]-1-oxohexan-2-yl]amino]-4-methyl-1-oxopentan-2-yl]amino]-1-oxopropan-2-yl]amino]-1-oxohexan-2-yl]amino]-4-methyl-1-oxopentan-2-yl]amino]-4-methyl-1-oxopentan-2-yl]amino]-1-oxopropan-2-yl]amino]-1-oxohexan-2-yl]amino]-4-methyl-1-oxopentan-2-yl]amino]-1-oxopropan-2-yl]-2-[[(2S)-2-[[(2S)-2-amino-3-phenylpropanoyl]amino]propanoyl]amino]hexanamide

• oldperry

June 13, 2018 at 5:55 pm

does every chemical in the INCI directory have a corresponding IUPAC name

No.  That’s because there are a lot of INCI names that refer to chemical blends rather than single ingredients IUPAC focuses on single ingredients.

Although most INCI names probably have a corresponding CAS number.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_Registry_Number

• Anonymous

June 13, 2018 at 6:12 pm

Hi David and Perry, 

Thank you so much for your answers! I really truly appreciate it. 

David, can I ask you where you obtained that information from? Is it from your own work?