Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry HCl solution handling

• HCl solution handling

Posted by em88 on June 7, 2018 at 7:45 am

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you uses HCl solutions in their production line. What is the usual concentration you use and how do you handle it to avoid damaging the stainless steel of your equipments.

Thank you 

doreen replied 5 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • doreen

June 7, 2018 at 8:53 am

0.5% w/v for Botox inactivation. Which also meant the cleaning of the crossflow bench (made of stainless steel) where it was prepared in, after a short while the whole surface of the bench was damaged irreversibly.
    The inactivation procedure of the whole bench was just to be sure that a minute spillage that wasn’t noticed would be inactivated as well. Very drastic (and expensive) measures.

Ok, this was done in hospital mostly for non-cosmetic indications, but the effect on the steel of the workbench was dramatic, even with a concentration that low.

• em88

June 7, 2018 at 3:12 pm

Thank you for your reply. 

• em88

June 8, 2018 at 3:15 pm

We used once HCl solution on 316L stainless steel and it left marks quickly. 

• doreen

June 8, 2018 at 4:39 pm

@em88
    You’re welcome! :+1:

• em88

June 11, 2018 at 11:53 am

I was thinking to use citric acid instead of HCl, but it needs a lot of NaOH/TEA to neutralize at the end.

• doreen

June 12, 2018 at 9:32 am

What were you planning to use it for?

• em88

June 12, 2018 at 3:24 pm

I have to create an acidic solution with the pH 2-3 to dissolve the API and than to neutralize at the end. The product is a shampoo.

• doreen

June 16, 2018 at 3:55 pm

Ok, good luck! :-)