Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Skin how to choose the right combination of preservatives?

• how to choose the right combination of preservatives?

Posted by Anonymous on April 26, 2018 at 4:10 pm

I am looking for a link for an article or a video that might help me choose the right combination of preservatives.
    I have looked up some articles online and none of them was that informative that i can rely on when deciding how to preserve my product.
    Thanks in advance.

gunther replied 5 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Anonymous

April 26, 2018 at 4:12 pm

i am making hair conditioners, if that might make a difference.
    thanks again

• oldperry

April 26, 2018 at 5:51 pm

A blend of DMDM Hydantoin and Methylparaben would work well for most hair conditioners. 

• Anonymous

May 9, 2018 at 8:52 am

i can’t use any kind of paraben as it goes completely against my marketing story 
    can i replace the Methylparaben with benzyl alcohol ?
    something like 1.5% of 
    DMDM Hydantoin and .5% of benzyl alcohol ?

• Anonymous

May 9, 2018 at 8:55 am

Water 89.6
    guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride 0.5
    Polyquaternium 10 2
    cetyl babassuate 1.5
    stearalkonium chloride 1
    glyceryl stearate 0.7
    cetearyl alcohol 3
    citric acid 0.2
    dmdm hydantoin 1.5
    benzyl
    alcohol 
    Fragrance 0.5
  • Anonymous

May 9, 2018 at 8:56 am

would this combination of preservative be enough, or should i add something more ?
    thanks a lot, perry

• natzam44

May 9, 2018 at 10:24 am

The only real way to find out would be to do a series of tests.

• Anonymous

May 9, 2018 at 11:16 am

that’s going to be my first batch, and currently a factory will do the manufacturing for me, i don’t have a lab to test my product before production and i will be able to afford renting one in the time being, so i am doing all the research online and i will have to take the risk.
    it’s not going to be a very large batch, so, if odds are to be in my favor, it won’t be stored for long.
    so, i hope things go well.

• oldperry

May 9, 2018 at 12:34 pm

That could work for preservation but it depends on many factors (ingredients, manufacturing conditions, etc). The only way you know for sure is to do testing. You can’t simply look at a formula on paper and know for certain that the preservative system will work.

*Edit - I should add that 1.5% DMDM Hydantoin is a very high amount and probably excessive. We used 0.2% for such products. But the amount to use depends on many factors as noted above.

• Anonymous

May 9, 2018 at 12:43 pm

thank you, guys for your help, i do appreciate it.
    I hope i will be able to test it soon.

• markbroussard

May 9, 2018 at 2:28 pm

What is the pH of your formula?  That would be the first bit of information required to guide you to some acceptable options on Preservatives and Preservative Potentiators

• gunther

May 9, 2018 at 4:01 pm

IMO Benzyl Alcohol is almost only used when
    Parabens and Formaldehyde releasers are avoided to make label claims

You can even use Benzyl Alcohol, Benzoates and Sorbates together if your pH is low enough for the latter two.
    Some commercial preservatives already include said blends.

• Anonymous

May 9, 2018 at 4:56 pm

I believe the PH of the formula would be around 3.5 - 4

• Anonymous

May 9, 2018 at 5:00 pm

Hi, Gunther, do you mean that some preservatives already include the Benzoates and Sorbates, do you know names of some of those preservatives?
    why can’t i use 
    Formaldehyde with benzyl alcohol, do they contradict with one another?

• gunther

May 9, 2018 at 5:56 pm

I meant that formaldehyde-releasers scare some customers away, like parabens do

so, if you make paraben-free, formaldehyde-releasers-free claims
    you’d be forced to look for “safer” alternatives
    Benzyl alcohol is approved for lots of injections meds, so far proven safe after decades of use
    Benzoates and sorbates are perceived by customers as ok, since they are so widely used in food you eat, again proven ok by decades of nonstop use.

If you’re already using Formaldehyde-Releasers, there’s no need for BA, you often got enough protection from FRs.