Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Face Mask Thickener

• Face Mask Thickener

Posted by theo on March 22, 2018 at 8:12 am

Hello,

I am trying to formulate a face mask. I used Carbomer and TEA (1:1), but still is not so thick. Do you recommend some other thickener? Can I add something at oil face to achieve my goal?

Thank you.

theo replied 5 years, 11 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • das

March 22, 2018 at 12:43 pm

What’s the pH?. Carbomers work at high pH unless you use specific ones. Post your formula. 

• oldperry

March 22, 2018 at 12:55 pm

Yes, you’ll get more useful answers if you post your whole formula.

• microformulation

March 22, 2018 at 1:14 pm

Also, if you follow the knowledge bases on neutralizing carbomers, the recommended ratio is 1.5 parts TEA to 1 Part Carbomer. Of course, you need to adjust the pH of the final product as well to ensure it is in an appropriate range.  https://www.ulprospector.com/documents/1017231.pdf?bs=76&b=3758&st=1&sl=59595169&crit=Q2FyYm9tZXI%3d&r=na&ind=personalcare

• doreen

March 22, 2018 at 3:10 pm

What type/brand carbomer do you use? 

• microformulation

March 22, 2018 at 6:59 pm

Lubrizol Brands mostly, depending upon the application. This is reflective of the fact that the distributor of Lubrizol in the Southeast is outstanding in regards to providing samples and Technical support. If you look at Lubrizol’s knowledge base, they have multiple helpful documents.

I have also recently used the Evonik carbomers as my clients CM had them in stock and wanted the material qualified as a substitute for the Lubrizol product.

• theo

April 12, 2018 at 8:55 am

Hello,

Thank you for your response. Sorry for my delayed answer. This the formula. I use Cosmedia SP (Sodium Polyacrylate) from BASF as thickener, which does not needed TEA. 

Deionised Water 70.95

Glycerine 3

Neosorb 70/70 (Hydrogenated
    Starch Hydrosylate) 3

Silicone SF1288
    (PEG-12 Dimethicone) 1

D-Panthenol 75
    W (Panthenol) 1.5

Cosmedia SP (Thickener) 1.5

Kaolin 12

Emulgade® 165 (Glyceryl
    Stearate (and) PEG-100 Stearate) 0.75