Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Better surfactant than Alkyl Glucosides for sensitive skin? Contact dermatitis incidence rising

• Better surfactant than Alkyl Glucosides for sensitive skin? Contact dermatitis incidence rising

Posted by zink on March 13, 2018 at 11:41 pm

I’ve been fond of Decyl Glucoside as it’s stable in low pH and leaves the skin feeling fairly moist even without refatting agents.

But there is a trend of more and more people becoming sensitive to it, around 2 out of 100 having sensitivity reactions after patch testing up from 1 out of 100 in 2010, potentially higher in older people with a history of atopic dermatitis “2016 Alkyl Glucosides in Contact Dermatitis” 

What’re your best bet gentle emulsifiers for most people and those with acne or atopic skin conditions?  Ideally stable at pH 3.5.

zink replied 6 years ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • belassi

March 14, 2018 at 2:22 am

This is exactly what I was referring to in the other post where my view is that the glucosides are responsible.
    What’re your best bet gentle emulsifiers… Ideally stable at pH 3.5.
    Plantapon LGC Sorb
     Foam behavior is independent of pH;  low pH stability – performs well in salicylic acid
    formulations

• zink

March 14, 2018 at 11:59 am

But it contains “Lauryl Glucoside” and from the study it doesn’t seem to fair much better than the other glucosides?

• belassi

March 14, 2018 at 4:30 pm

All I can say is, that it doesn’t cause the problems I saw with decyl glucoside.

• zink

March 14, 2018 at 6:44 pm

Could simply be a dosage question too or even purity between suppliers.