Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Color and makeup Need a Lab for low pilot run quantities for Lip Stick and Lip Gloss

• Need a Lab for low pilot run quantities for Lip Stick and Lip Gloss

Posted by Anonymous on June 9, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Good day,

Is there a Lab that anyone can recommend for low pilot run quantities (i.e. 100 pcs or less) for Lip Gloss and Lip Stick products?  We have our own formulations but need a lab that can assist to make prototype samples of 100 pcs or less.  Thank you.

microformulation replied 9 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • bobzchemist

June 9, 2014 at 6:04 pm

My guess is that this will cost a lot of money if you just want to buy the lipsticks and never do business with that lab again - probably close to the cost of buying the equipment to make the prototypes yourself.

Seriously - 100 pcs of lipstick should take about 2-3 hours, start to finish, for 1 technician with a 24-place mold and a hotplate. Lip gloss, even less time and equipment.
    However, that being said, there is much value to be derived from having the product development lab of the contract manufacturer that you will be using for your production runs make the prototype samples. That way, the manufacturer will already be acquainted with whatever little quirks your formulations have when it comes time to go into production. Most contract manufacturers will make prototypes at no charge, or will charge a fee that will be refunded when you place your first order.
    What size production runs are you anticipating, or haven’t you got that far yet?
  • the_microbiologist

June 10, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I think that Sarati Private Label might be your best bet.  They’re in South Texas and I toured their facility once.  I got the impression that they do some pretty small projects (as well as lots of larger ones). I’d give them a call.

• Anonymous

June 20, 2014 at 9:46 am

Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

Bob, we anticipate about 5,000 pcs per shade per product per year but we have not completely finished our Marketing & Sales plans. The main issue was the delivery lead-time from the manufacturer. Their current lead-time is 12 weeks and we need some samples sooner. However, I think we have now found a viable solution. Thanks for your suggestions.

@The_Microbiologist - Sarati Private Label do not offer Lip Stick, Lip Gloss and Mascara related services. They only offer liquid product related services but thanks for the suggestion.

• microformulation

June 20, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I know some Color Cosmetics manufacturers but I think anything below 2500 units per run will be difficult to obtain.

You could try contacting;

Ivonne G. Ruggles

Contemporary Cosmetic Group, Inc.

ivonne@contemporarycosmetics.com